Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:46 PM

Water leak

Before you ask yes I read through each and every post on this topic. Leak is on passenger side floorboard of my 2006 HHR LT with Sunroof. I completed the butyl patch and the leak happened really bad today (Florida is raining heavily). I pulled everything apart to test and even pour water down the windshield directly onto the butyl patch to test if it was leaking. I had the glove compartment off and the air filter out and was looking through with a flashlight at the patch and nothing was coming through. I read about sunroof drain plug issues so I opened the sunroof and poured water directly in the left drain plug and it just pooled up and didn't even want to go down the hole. So now I know that it is leaking somewhere in that system. I am asking for some good advice on how to clear it out? also wear exactly is the exit hole for that line? Any advice would be very appreciated. I am just about on the verge of giving up and bringing to the shop because I read that there were also a couple service bulletins on this issues. And to think one of the reasons I got rid of my convertible was to AVOID water leaks -_-

Thank You
Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Some more searching would reveal numerous threads about sunroofs, drains, maintenance etc.

Anyhow. I just happened to have this pic still on my desktop. The picture only shows the right side drains, but there are left side drains also.

Name:  sunroof drains.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Administrator

I used weed whacker line to clear the drain tubes, some have said they gently blew compressed air through the drain hoses.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:34 PM

Sorry for creating another thread but I needed a quick answer and that diagram is more than helpful I went out and saw exactly where the exit hole is unfortunately its too dark out so I will try my luck tomorrow. THANK YOU!!!!!

As for the weed whacker line I will tried that next. sounds like a good idea. The line seems to be made of durable plastic. Damn Florida rain!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Some reports of the "accordion" conduit in the door being the culprit. There is a connector in the drain, IIRC, that can be disturbed with the trimmer line solution. But then, I don't have a sunroof and I only read what is posted.

Well, gee if you "read that there were also a couple service bulletins on this issues", why not cite the bulletins, or even (oh gosh) follow the links to them? Kinda like "a guy walking down the street in Cincinnati said my house in L.A is on fire so I called 911 in Miami."

Needed a quick answer so you might get around to it tomorrow?

Sorry, I should have posted a sarcasm alert. just joking, don't get all serious.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Some reports of the "accordion" conduit in the door being the culprit.
You mean where the wires pass through to the door itself?
Old 07-24-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
You mean where the wires pass through to the door itself?
yes
Old 07-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
yes
Didn't think to check that... Ran my finger in there and it definitely is wet si I will try to RTV that B**** closed. Actually I have to now because after breaking its seal against the door the darn thing wont sit flush with the body of the car anymore! GM engineers certainly are geniuses