Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Bag Light On

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Air Bag Light On

I got a Problem with the Service Airbag Light coming on and going off. Sometime it stays on for weeks. I have a 2009 HHR LS 2.2 L. I was told there is a recall out there to Replace the Airbag Module. If there is Please help me find out the recall Number to get it repaired. Thank you : JOE
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by joejet727
I got a Problem with the Service Airbag Light coming on and going off. Sometime it stays on for weeks. I have a 2009 HHR LS 2.2 L. I was told there is a recall out there to Replace the Airbag Module. If there is Please help me find out the recall Number to get it repaired. Thank you : JOE
Welcome to the site. Best way is to just contact your local Chevy Dealer about any recall info. They're the ones who will be doing any warranty/recall work.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Founding Member

There are no recalls for air bag lights.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM

My airbag light went on a couple months ago with only 32,000 miles on it. I have a 2009 2LT. Mine was a loose connector on the passenger side. I brought it in to a dealer to find it though. I didn't want to risk the air bags deploying.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM

@MikeK, thank you for sharing your experience with this. I hope things are going well with things to include the HHR.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM

I also had this problem with my 2009 LS when it was under warrantee AND once since leaving warrantee. The dealer said they were aware of the problem

The X211 connector was the problem with my vehicle.

Remove the plastic outside kick panel on the passenger side.

See:

If memory serves me right it is the yellow connector just to the right of the black disconnected connector. All I did was unplug and re-plug the connector several times. Trouble light cleared on it own.

Also See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...117#post463349
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
I also had this problem with my 2009 LS when it was under warrantee AND once since leaving warrantee. The dealer said they were aware of the problem

The X211 connector was the problem with my vehicle.

Remove the plastic outside kick panel on the passenger side.

See:

If memory serves me right it is the yellow connector just to the right of the black disconnected connector. All I did was unplug and re-plug the connector several times. Trouble light cleared on it own.

Also See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...117#post463349

THANK YOU Sno White!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've lived with this damned air bag fault light for a year and a half. On then off, off then on. I was sure it was related to when I had the passenger seat folded forward. I pulled and greased all the under seat plugs, moved the seat forward, then back, nothing worked. No money to have the dealer go on a fishing expedition for hundreds of $'s. Lately the light would go on and stay on about 5 minutes in my drive, every time.

Following your directions and handy photo I pulled the kick panel, plugged and unplugged the yellow plug several times and the dreaded light is OFF. How does it feel to have irritating problem fixed for free after all this time? Damn good! Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Air Bag light (other cause)

Im going to try the connector fix on my 2009 HHR in the morning..if it does not work Ill try this other one I found on line...heres the info it might help others.
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-09-41-010B (Section 09 - Restraints).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the airbag light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0071 set in the passenger presence system (PPS) and a DTC B0081 in the sensing and diagnostics module (SDM).

Correction
Do This
Don't Do This

Diagnose and replace the right front seatbelt buckle, if necessary.
Do not replace the passenger presence system or the sensing and diagnostic module.

Verify proper system electrical connections. Inspect the passenger seat belt tension sensor signal, voltage reference and low reference circuits, carefully for cutting and/or chaffing per SI instructions for DTC B0071. If all checks have been made and no fault has been found, replace the belt tension sensor.

Important: The seat belt tension sensor is not serviced separately. The seat belt buckle with the tension sensor must be serviced as a complete unit.

Parts Information
For part number and usage of seatbelt buckles, refer to Group 14.875 (cars) or Group 16.714 (trucks) of the appropriate parts catalog.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM

Good luck beachbummm. Going on two months and my light is still off. A more thorough way to dothe fix I did is lightly sand the connector pins and apply dialetic grease. If mine comes on again I'll do it this way.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

thanks Pstar, I didnt have luck with the connector but Im not giving up on it yet.....maybe this is a foolish question but what would happen if I removed the connector and soldered the wires together??? will it work or blow up in my face?

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light On