Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Alarm goes off sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Alarm goes off sporadically

I bought a brand new 2009 HHR 2.2L A.T. 257K miles (No AP3 RPO code)

I bought this from a friend at work and my intent is to give it to my son.
  • I unplugged the BCM connector, looking for pin 3 after reading that you can ground this pin to emulate the hood closed in order to make a remote start key fob work. I simply unplugged the BCM connector with the battery hooked up, heard some ticking in the BCM and plugged it back in. I aborted the idea of grounding pin 3.
  • The fob that came with the car does not work and does not have the remote start option. I bought a fob off ebay with the remote start option (15114374) and programmed it to the car with a tech2. The door locks work, but the remote start still does not because it does not have AP3, as expected. I'll look into installing a hood switch at a later date.
  • It had a brand new battery, purchased from Sam's one week ago. I quickly removed that battery and put it into my HHR and put my battery into the 2009. I have never had a problem with my battery. The battery clamp on the 2009 was broken (you know, that little aluminum thing that the 10mm nut presses into), so I cut the battery clamp off and attached an aftermarket.
The alarm just goes off for no reason. First time the security was set by pressing the lock button on the remote twice, hours later while just sitting in the driveway, the alram sounds. Next time I just locked the doors (No security set) and later the alarm went off. The last time, the car is just sitting in the driveway with the doors unlocked and the alarm sounded.

Where do I start?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Why did you disconnect the BCM connector? The object is to ground the wire that goes to pin 3. Does the Remote Start option appear in the DIC menu? If it does not you are wasting time.

You don't need the RS button on the fob, Panic + Lock does the same thing.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ion-ap3-28551/

The alrarm gets armed every time you lock the car with the fob. Don't need for twice..

You may have damaged something messing with connectors with the battery hooked up.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:46 PM

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and reconnected it. I removed the battery from the fob and will leave it out until this is resolved. If I just use the door switch or key switch, does this enable the alarm?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Technical Moderator

Link to Owner Manual in my sig
Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM

How the System Alarm is Activated
If the system is armed, it can be activated by either:
Opening the driver’s door or tailgate. This causes a10 second pre-alarm chirp followed by a 30 second full alarm of horn and lights.
Opening any other door. This immediately causes a full alarm of horn and lights for 30 seconds.
When an alarm event has finished, the system re-arms itself automatically.

I actually heard it go off the last time and it did three chirps before going into full blown alarm. So maybe my problem exists within the drivers door or lift gate. As I had mentioned the key fob did not work at all when I bought the car so maybe this problem has already existed and the owner never knew. It has not went off since locking the door manually, which does not enable theft deterrent.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Technical Moderator

Your Tech2 should be able to tell if a door sensor is open, One of the Cxxxx codes, I think. Some years using the lock all button on the driver door sets the alarm, that's why I directed you to the OM.

Regarding RVS; not all 2009 have the option in the DIC. If it is not there grounding the wire won't fix it. I have heard that you can reprogram the BCM via the SPS system.