Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Am i wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Question Am i wrong ?

Hello everyone, a scenario and a question for all.

First, My SS is an '08 bought may 29th of '08 . It has now 35,741 miles.
It is going to the dealer with a list of things that i want rectified on gm's dime.

Here is the list :

When cold out (5 months of the year) when hitting a dip in the road , The front end shrieks (bad)

The steering wheel makes a thump sound , When moving it back and forth
( to much play ?)

The back hatch struts fail in cold weather (it will be the 3rd set)

The head liner makes more noise than a normal person could handle (It will be the 3rd attempt to quiet)

The two front doors while closed make noise while hitting bumps in the road
( try this on yours, With the doors closed , compress the door tighter towards the body, Mine knock against the body with a bit of presure, That presure makes a knock in the interior over medium bumps in the road , That leave you woundering if the doors are shut all the way. Unexceptable.

A knocking sound in the pass side rear (third attempt to locate, and fix.)

I want all these things fixed, If not i don't want the car, They can have it. And they can pay for it.

Am i wrong? , This car has not been beat on. I hav'nt done any off roading, Yet is makes more sounds than my 1988 pathfinder that i off roaded every weekend.

Am i wrong to demand that these issues be taken care of ?

Any inputs great.

I love my SS more than any car i've had. It's my first gm, and i'm sad to say probally my last, And i really wanted a camaro, But i'll be damed if i'm gonna pay almost twice as much for another loose ride.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS
Here is the list :

The head liner makes more noise than a normal person could handle (It will be the 3rd attempt to quiet)

The two front doors while closed make noise while hitting bumps in the road
( try this on yours, With the doors closed , compress the door tighter towards the body, Mine knock against the body with a bit of presure, That presure makes a knock in the interior over medium bumps in the road , That leave you woundering if the doors are shut all the way. Unexceptable.
You're not going to get your money back. The car is 36k miles and over 18 months old. It's yours. Your best bet is to just keep pressing them ti (re)fix stuff until the warranty expires.

Re the headliner, I've had mine "fixed" 3 times. On the 3rd "fix," I was provided (at no additional cost) grimy greasy hand prints on my lt. gray headliner. That was my signal that they weren't capable of a genuine fix.

Re the door, during extremely hard acceleration through corners (at the beginning of a full drift), my driver's door leaks air... this is not an ideal time for a door to pop open.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM

My car makes (or made) all those noises. I had the headliner noise fixed at the dealership - they installed some extra velcro strips. I still have all the other noises, and more.

I also have quite a loud rattle in the dash in between the dash storage bin and windshield. They attempted to fix that, but were not successful.

My clutch/tranny also makes all sorts of noises. The whining I don't mind, but the clunk when shifting and whirring when decelerating doesn't seem right, but I've been told that those sounds are normal.

With that said, the car has been fast (with Trifecta tune, crazy fast) and reliable so I'm learning to live with noises and am starting to deal with interior rattles by stuffing folded up paper towel in some of the cracks and gaps. It's actually worked a bit behind the door panels :)
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 AM

Ive had most of those issues too, they are quite common.
I noticed when new that one door would actually contact the body when closed hard, it was actually chipping the paint. I touched it up and havent noticed it since. You may just need the door closing mechanism to be adjusted.
Front end noise when cold is usually the sway bar bushings. Havent noticed it on mine yet this season. Just get them done under warranty, after warranty is done get aftermarket ones.
Steering wheel knock probably means you have a faulty steering column, GM is going after the supplier in court, so its a well known issue. It took me 3 tries before I got a good one, but all the ones in stock now should be the improved version.
I had one original hatch strut replaced, again once out of warranty I would advise replacing with aftermarket ones.
Headliner noise is also common, and expected as they use double sided tape and velcro to stick it on. I just got a louder stereo so now everything rattles, hardly notice the headliner buzzing anymore.

Sure I wish the car was perfect, but that isnt going to happen without me doing a lot of work myself, but I still love the car after all these issues.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 AM

all work has a warranty, regardless if it was paid for by you or GM, usually 12 mo or 12,000 miles. if it was an attempt to repair then that should restart the warranty.

So don't think that if they dont get it right, you will be responsible after the manufacturers warranty expires. they must warranty their work.

the best bet is to have them farm the headliner job out to an upholstery shop. thats what was done with mine after they installed greasy handprints while fixing the onstar.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Yep, I don't believe I would let the greasy fingerprints on the headliner slide ..

I'd be trying to get a new one on their dime.

FWIW: My OL's 08 Dodge Avenger SXT was just in for warranty 'inside door handle' R&R.
I told her to mention the small hole in the carpet (probably) from her hi-heels, & use the word "Defective"... She did, & new carpet has been ordered..(got lucky there.)
Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 AM

Well you should still be under warranty so I don't see whaty they won't fix it. But if you think they are just going to take it back after that many miles, dream on. Might want to look into your lemon laws if you want to try that road. SOme of those items I find difficult to believe have failed so many times, like lift gate struts? Mine are original and over 3 years old. Why do yours keep failing?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Programmer
With that said, the car has been fast (with Trifecta tune, crazy fast) and reliable so I'm learning to live with noises and am starting to deal with interior rattles by stuffing folded up paper towel in some of the cracks and gaps. It's actually worked a bit behind the door panels :)
I'm in the same boat. MY dashboard above the center console makes a lot of noise, especially in colder weather, and I stuff paper towels above the headliner to try and get that noise from stopping. In one way I think it is outrageous that I have to do these things and that the dealer can't "replicate" these problems, but on the other hand I do love the car and plan on giving it over to my daughter in the next year or two.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 AM

I think it's just cheap panels and cheap plastic. My mom's G6 is the same way. I still like the looks of the car, and it overall, so that outweighs the negative in my opinion. I think it's part of the reason GM was having problems recently.... I think their new cars are better though.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 AM
ecl

Your mileage is the right about the same mileage I took mine in for them to try, again, to fix the same noise your experiencing with your front end over bumps. They have tried many times and still its not fixed Im now over 39k miles and they are still trying im taking it in today. You are not wrong in wanting these fixed and you should work and fight to get them fixed to your standard, if they dont fix it right there are those surveys they pass out and let me tell you they work thats how im actually getting some were.

Quick Reply: Am i wrong ?