Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Anyone out there.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Anyone out there.......

I need to remove the rocker sills- WITHOUT damaging them anybody done this. I want to cut out a piece at the very front so ice can't build up and get in the way of the front doors when opening.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

save the trouble..aplly rain-x or just plain isopropal alcohol..ice and salt wont stick..we use it on the l.e.d. lights on the big rigs..they dont run hot enough to melt snow so we put that stuff on to help with ice build up..
Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Check page two of https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/installing-running-boards-1138/ - it shows some pictures of how they are held on, and has some tips on how to remove them. Unfortunately it doesn't look like an easy job, as it looks like several clips got broken in the process. Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Yeh looks like I can't get them off without damaging them. I was thinking of keeping the area sprayed down with silicone. But thought trimming would be a permanent fix.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 AM
zip

I just replaced my rocker covers with running boards on my 2006 HHR. I would be very surprised if you can get the covers completely removed without breaking the spots on the covers where the clips connect. I just purchased my vehicle and have not gone through a winter with it so I'm not sure exactly how the ice builds up blocking the door. I will probably find out this winter. The problem is the grey clips flare out once they are pushed through the body holes. There is no way to get at the clips to compress them so they can be removed. I think it might be possible to reach the very front clip and compress it by removing the front wheel well bolt and reaching in behind the wheel well panel. If you can do this, the rocker cover is fairly flexible? You might be able to bend the front of the cover back and do your trimming. I’m not sure if this will work I’m just going by what I remember from installing my running boards. You would only need to remove the one wheel well bolt and reach in behind the well panel to check it out.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks, I'm thinking of stopping in at local body shop, maybe a door panel removal tool might work?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Al's08
Thanks, I'm thinking of stopping in at local body shop, maybe a door panel removal tool might work?
That's what I was going to suggest.
I borrowed one from my local shop.

They work pretty good but careful with your paint.
It's easy to say yaya but it can get pretty frustrating when you're actually doing it.
Take your time and it works good.
I got 6 out of 8 clips out intact.
The other 2 needed more tact than I have on hand on any given day.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
zip

If you can break the clips without damaging the rocker cover you can get a replacement set of clips on ebay for about $10.00

http://cgi.ebay.ca/15-Rocker-Panel-M...item1c0b2df9a7

Unfortunately the rocker cover breaks much easier than the clips.