Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Well, Saturday morning, got in, and guess what......

New Autocraft Gold installed shortly after.....
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by solman98
Well, Saturday morning, got in, and guess what......

New Autocraft Gold installed shortly after.....
Good deal. What was the model number used?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Deceased

Here ya go whopper, a link to the Advance Auto parts listing for the Autocraft Gold, which coincidentally we put in the '06 last week....at least the old one pooped out in a good spot, and not some late night in Charlotte.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/2...art-90-t5.html
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM

battery

Autozone has one part # 90 DLG $107.99
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
These batteries will become more and more common with the many cars now using them under the back seat. The Lacrosse, Malibu, Aura, Cruze etc all have the battery under the back seat. I am not sure but I think even the Camaro has it under the seat inside now too.

I did find this on the Optima web site in their fittment section.

2.Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes), the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. OPTIMA group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

One of these should work in a HHR. I will check into this.
What we're talking about is the difference between VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) batteries and flooded cell batteries. I work with battery string restrictions in mission critical facilities (up to 16 MegaWatts of battery power) and the requirement for flooded cell batteries is spill containment and hydrogen venting. VRLAs do not have the stringent requirements of flooded cell, but do not last as long. Longevity to any battery is related to discharge cycles, but moreso with temperature regulation. If a constant 77F environment is maintained, you'll get 5-8 years out of a flooded cell; 3-5 out of a VRLA. VRLAs are cheaper, but require no maintenance. I like the fact that the stock VRLAs are mounted in the interior of the HHR is a plus, because temp rate of change is much lower than if it's under the hood. If you change to a flooded cell though, you should consider spill containment, but definitely venting.

Just for S&G's I included a pic of a 384V string of 12V battery "jars" with spill containment... There's some dangerous DC power density here!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Here ya go whopper, a link to the Advance Auto parts listing for the Autocraft Gold, which coincidentally we put in the '06 last week....at least the old one pooped out in a good spot, and not some late night in Charlotte.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/2...art-90-t5.html
Yep, that's it. Kid was good also, never put one in an HHR and had it done in 15 minutes.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM

I hate to bring such an old thread back to life, but after running my radio while working outside I had a dead battery. Since I didn't run it all that long (about 45 minutes), I am thinking that it may need to be replaced soon.

I'm just wondering what those of you that have recently replaced your battery have been doing?

Since this thread is so old, just wondering if there any new alternatives to the 90T5 and if those of you who replaced with batteries without the vent have had any issues?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM

I run two batteries, one the original without vent tube and one Optima. When the original goes dead I will replace with another Optima. The batteries are only connected when the fuel pump is running.

There will be others who will point out the “safety” of this ventless practice. However, I remember my family and myself running the old VWs with the battery under the rear seat.

I have had the same problems with this vehicle(and others) as you, forgetting to turn things off or running too long without the engine running. The last occurrence was recently when I rotated the tires and used the reset procedure for the TMPS and I forgot to turn the ignition off afterwards. Came back to a dead battery.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Replaced mine in July 2011, but got one with a vent from Autozone. It was kind of pricey at about $120, but I should be good for a while. Mine went downhill quick once it started to go, so you should be prepared.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
There will be others who will point out the “safety” of this ventless practice. However, I remember my family and myself running the old VWs with the battery under the rear seat.
well, ppl used to use "Lead Paint" inside houses, & wrap pipes in asbestos..

Just sayin..

Quick Reply: Battery