Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Black Chrome not black anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Black Chrome not black anymore

My black chrome wheels have just about lost all of its tint. Anybody with the black chrome have this problem?

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 PM

what did they do, plate them, and then paint them with clear coat, and the clear has faded? or did GM use a tinted clear coat over a stock chrome finish?

I cant see how true "Black chrome" would "come off"....if it's plated.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

hmmmm.... not to be a smarta$$, but how do you know? I mean, I've got the Fall Edition too and the black chrome seems to change all the time, depending on the lighting conditions. Sometimes I can't see much tint at all and sometimes it's almost a deep grey and everything in between. Do the rims now look different than the door handles or beauty bar? Are all 4 wheels "fading"? I've had my ride for a year and haven't detected any differences myself... interesting
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

That's the thing. I don't think they're "true" black chrome. But the "smoke" look is completely gone. I had to get a new rim and the difference is night and day. Looks like I have one dirty wheel. I'll see how it come out with my camera. I'm going to the dealer tommorow to see what they say.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM

Bizarre. Somebody here a while back- I think it might have been Snoopy- explained the process. Wish I could find that. Keep us updated!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM

I would never have noticed either till I got the new rim. Next to the newer rim.......Very noticeable.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Went to the dealer. They noticed it right away and said that's what happens. It's only a coating and will "oxidize". The salt and snow and washing them will wipe the blackness away and be regular chrome. I called chevy and they said it's just normal wear and tear. Not too happy about that.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM

That sounds like a typical BS explanation- another variation of the "just tell him anything and hope he goes away" ploy. I don't know- I could be proven wrong but I don't believe that. A car less than a year old and the "tint" is already "washed away"?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there may be "batch issues" that might only be noticed when compared side-by-side. Would love to see pix of the new one next to an old one if you can swing it.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM

I think you hit it right on the mark. I asked the guy, why sell it as black chrome if it's going to wash off in 6-7 months? I might have to try another dealer. But I will see how it comes out in a pic. It looks like one wheel with a lot of brake dust. I will be sending a letter to chevy. Didn't care for the "robot" reading the script in customer sevice on the phone.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:14 PM

I noticed this problem today with my Premier Edition HHR. The clear coat is starting to peel on one of my rims. Will the GM warranty cover this problem?

Quick Reply: Black Chrome not black anymore