Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

blinking dash light ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 AM

Question blinking dash light ?????

I have a blinking light flashing on my dash when I lock the doors with my remote? It looks like a picture of a lock. My owners manual tells me it has to do with the alarm system. It has been blinking on and off for about 3 weeks, i just never really payed attention to it till this morning when I went outside to go to work and my car was dead. I had no lights no nothing. I called onstar and they sent a jumper guy to give my battery a jump, which worked because my car started when he hooked up the powersupply. Then he informs me that there is a smell coming from the front bottom of the engine which smells like burnt rubber. He put his flash light on because it was 5 am. I did notice the ordor and see smoke coming the the starter area. Safe to say I had it towed to the dealer, I mean it barey fliped to 5000 miles on the gauge. Anyways, when I called the dealer this morning they in mentioned that the smoke could be from a blown fuse from the result of the jump. That doesnt seem rite considering I was standing right next to the guy when he did it. All he did was remove the red cover from the top driver sectin of the engine bay and connected the positive cable from the power supply. then he grounded the other cable. I did turn on and off the car to see what would happen and it started normal everytime. Wouldnt a blown fuse cause the car not to turn back off when the fuse blew? Does anybody have any idea why this light would be flashing on my dash?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Founding Member

If I remember correctly I was schooled on this one. When you use the remote to lock the door the lock icon stays on until the system is armed. After it is armed it will flash as you state, which indicates the system is armed.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM

The flashing light usually stays on for about 30 sec. to show the security system is "pre-armed" then goes out and (if I remember right flashes about once a min.) to show it is armed. If it is flashing more than that, then either there is a door ajar, or hood not closed, or someone was messing with the car.

As far as the smoke, where exactly did he connect the ground? to the black terminal near the fuse block? If so, you have a blown #1 fuse and no power steering.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 AM

he connected ground to the front drivers side bolt that holds the strut.