Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brake Fluid Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 AM

Angry Brake Fluid Warning

Hey All,
Haven't posted in a while but have been keeping up. Having a Brake problem that may just be the sensor but here goes. After starting the HHR either with the key or the remote, the "Brake" indicator comes on on the dash and a second later my DIC say's BRAKE FLUID. Not that I listen to my DIC but........ This had happened once before, but twice yesterday. This after the car was in the garage all day. Not a heated garage, just out of the elements. The first time I thought the sensor was just slow as it was around 0-5 outside.

Enjoying the snow in upstate NY

Glenn
Old 02-15-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

Mine did the exact same thing last week. It's only happened the one time.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 AM

Check the fluid level.
Do you have abs?
Don`t know how, but you could have air in the system, or maybe a loose connection or break.
Do you see any fluid on the ground/floor, or on the back/inside of your wheel?
If no real indicator, drive slowly to the dealership...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Rjj

please report to NHTA 888-327-4236

I am starting a new post on this subject as to clear up the air on this problem. This is a cold weather climate problem. I need everybody that has experienced this to call NHTA the phone number is 888-327-4236. This government agency will document all your information to raise the red flag to get this a recall. General Motors has already put out a service bulletin on this problem but yet has a resolution to fix it. I took my HHR in to Heidebreicht Chevrolet in Romeo Michigan and had this problem investigated, they came back with codes verifying that there was a fault but assured me that there was no brake fluid leaking. They then ordered a new master cylinder to replace the defective part. In order to remove the master cylinder they had to ever so slightly move the car main wire harness to clear the master cylinder. When they did this it caused a major short in the harness that caused the car to not start. Hence they cut open my wire harness to find the short and repair it. REAL NICE for a car with less then 4000 miles.
I so gracefully accepted this and picked up my car. One week later I am having new brake problems now the brake warning light comes on and along with that the ABS fault light comes on. Heidebreight was contacted by General Motors customer service rep and denied the problem, could not be duplicated; leading General Motors to deny responsibility saying there was no problem. Little did they know that I received a call from the service tech telling us that the codes did show a problem and that he did duplicate the problem when the car was left outside for the night. He called to get the exact details of what was happening. I confronted the service manager as to why he told the rep that the problem could not be duplicated and he told me that he did not talk to the service tech. Real professional hiding the truth. I then contacted the dealership owner and told him of the misleading conversation with the customer rep. He threatened to end the conversation when confronted. In the end I told him the service report better state the true facts.
o ya! my car is still at the dealership going on 1 week now!

GM thinks that I should ignore the warning lights because it is just a cold weather condition and has no real merit. I say that is not the case and I will not put my wife and kids in a car never knowing if there is a real problem or just a cold weather alert..You all know the story the boy that cried wolf..

I really need your help in convincing GM that they have a serious problem before somebody losses a loved one due to their denial. Please take your car in and have everything documented and then call NHTA @888-327-4236
Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 AM

Bad Wheel Cylinder

Got the car back from the dealer who is ordering a new wheel cylinder. I did not get to ask questions as he was quite busy. My bad. I believe it is just the sensor that may be bad and the car is still safe to drive.

I will let you know when the cylinder is installed. It was funny that the service writer said mine was the second car that day with the brake fluid warning.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 AM

A think the HHR has a bad brake problem. Mine squeak, when warm, and I`ve had them turned once already. A couple other people have had similar experience.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM

mine has done that too only on start up and cold
i have no abs
i just turn car off and back on and it goes away
Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Rjj

WHITEHHR1,

You should be very concerned that this warning light comes on. When warning lights come on they are telling you that there is a problem. DO NOT ASSUME that since the light goes out after you re start that there is no problem. If you do not report this you have no proof that there was a problem before something serious happens

Report this to your dealership TAKE pictures and then
call NHTA 888-327-4236

Codes come and go, As easy as it goes away what about when you need the abs and it does not perform?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Concerned!

Darn rightI am concerned because this isn't happening sporadically anymore it is now constant. Not having ABS doesn't bother me as much as not having brakes at all. The dealer is replacing the wheel cylinder when they get one. I will also find out about the other report at the same dealer.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Is this a warranty or recall item? I have just under 50,000 on my '06 and it's my first winter with it - it'd doing the same thing.
(no warranty left)

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Warning