Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Brakes and rotors

Hey Gang. I am about to replace the front pads and rotors on my 06 2LT w/117k miles. I've read all the "how to" and am now looking for preferences. Which ones did you install? Is the upgrade to "SS" a better choice? Plain or drilled and slotted. Ceramic or not? Willwood, Brembo, EBC, PowerStop, OEM? Thanx
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 AM

brakes

I've recently done Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads at 100111K miles. It was the Extreme Z26 Street Warrior kit. I can't say to how they compare to stock since I was getting a lot of shake and not great feel from the brakes when I changed them. They work great and I have confidence in short stopping and the rotors look good. I kept my calipers though, no sense and changing them when nothing is wrong.

In hindsight, I should've upgraded to the non-Brembo SS brakes. More stopping power and they still fit the 16" wheels which I have. Powerstop makes a drilled and slotted rotor in the 11.6 which is the non-brembo front rotors. I recently was on their website after reading through the threads about upgrading LS and LT brakes, and they have their list by make and model. https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...ront%20Caliper

Again, I am happy with the Powerstop brand, I just wish I would have gone to the SS size rotors on the front. Good luck with the replacement.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:04 AM
Administrator

After numerous brakes in the stock form , I switched to the larger SS non Brembo set up , smooth rotors, AC Delco ceramic pads.
No more brake judder, and I keep me rear drum brakes adjusted properly
Attached Thumbnails Brakes and rotors-hhr-ss-brakes-005.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 06:17 AM

Napa Gold (or whatever they call their top of the line setup)

In my opinion...

1. Slotted rotors do nothing for a street driven car except make it look "cool".

2. The biggest problem with the non SS HHR is the drum brakes in the rear. Four wheel disc would be the best improvement if someone were going to modify the braking system in a LS/LT HHR. Larger front rotors don't address this problem, they just cover it up.

Removes self from soapbox.....
Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Strange, the larger front rotors, do address the problem, at least in my case! Perhaps it's the inferior brake pads used in the swap?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

Excuse me if this a dumb question. Do I need to change the caliper mounting bracket also?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Yes, just the rotors and calliper brackets, you will still have your stock callipers.
I have a set of SS callipers , the pistons are smaller in diameter then my stock LS callipers.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanx OldBlue. This will be on my list when I get back from Missouri. Going to see my Dad. First time in 6 years. Well, this and the TTR sway bar. Might as well, eh.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Napa Gold (or whatever they call their top of the line setup)

In my opinion...

1. Slotted rotors do nothing for a street driven car except make it look "cool".

2. The biggest problem with the non SS HHR is the drum brakes in the rear. Four wheel disc would be the best improvement if someone were going to modify the braking system in a LS/LT HHR. Larger front rotors don't address this problem, they just cover it up.

Removes self from soapbox.....
I agree to #1 and part of #2. Braking on cars is not a 50/50 split F-R. But rear rotors would be better.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Technical Moderator

My only input is to get "premium" rotors, they cost $2-10 more a lot longer lasting. And ceramic pads that are chamfered. Or organic, not semi metalic.

I don't care about brand; I don't own any stock in any company. The best set I have had was from China (Prime Choice).

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors