Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:54 AM

A/C Issues

Hello Again 👾
So my blower just stopped working, but I seriously don't think it's a blower issue as it all happened all of a sudden-although it was squeaking just the slightest bit but not enough to make it stop completely
One other thing I noticed along with this was that the light on the temperature control, which is supposed to show you when the Compressor is turned on, is not turning off. It. only turns off when the car is switched off, otherwise just stays lit. I think I can hear the Compressor working too, but the blower isn't working at any speed.
It's REALLY hot and I'd appreciate any help.
P.S I checked the HVAC fuse in the passenger seat - fuse
​​box

Thanks in Advance,
Allen
Old 07-01-2021, 10:02 AM

Keep looking. Fuses 10, 16, and relay 30 in the interior fuse block. Fuse 22 underhood.

You may need a new headunit. Does the light go off when you pull each fuse or relay?

Is the CEL illuminated?
Old 07-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Is the HVAC control unit showing signs of melted plastic behind it, you’ll need to remove the waterfall panel and the control module

This unit

Melted back here?
Old 07-01-2021, 01:32 PM

The head unit isn't melted, and I checked all the fuses and the relay, all are working fine. No CEL either.
Weirdest thing happened, so we were parked and waiting for someone when I noticed the whole AC issue. So I realised the Compressor wouldn't shut off so I turned off the car to avoid draining the battery. About an hour later, when ready to leave, we found out that the battery drained and with the help of another one, we jumped the car. I noticed a really low idle, and just when it was gonna turn off, I got in and held the engine at the 3-3.5 rpm mark and that was when I saw the CEL blink rapidly. I connected my pocket scanner and it read misfire detected. Seconds after, thee was a smell of something like burnt fuel. I turned the car off in fear of the worst. I turned it back on to th acc position and cleared the code, and started to which it started normally, but still the AC issue exists.
The blower motor is working fine when removed and connected to an external power supply.
The Compressor usually comes on (the light on the temperature control button illuminates) when we turn the AC on by turning the fan speed selector knob, and it turns back off (on its own, no need of pushing the button) when the fan speed is set to 0. But now it just stays on even if the fan speed is set to 0,and only turns off if pressed. Either way, the blower motor is still not working with or without the compressor on.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:36 PM

That does sound like the head unit. It doesn't register that the fan is off, but it won't turn the fan on either.