Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car is all over the road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:04 PM

Cool Car all over the road update!

Okay, the mechanic shop just called. He said I need a new wheel and tire, a hub assembly, and the 4 wheel alignment. Quoted me $575.00! Does that sound about right, or am I getting ripped off again!?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM

You said earlier you already had an alignment done. Is this the same person? If it was they would have seen this from the get go and told you then. Going slow (10-20 mph) does the car walk back and forth in a straight line?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by maureenbaker
Okay, the mechanic shop just called. He said I need a new wheel and tire, a hub assembly, and the 4 wheel alignment. Quoted me $575.00! Does that sound about right, or am I getting ripped off again!?

I would ask him to break it down for you as to each item cost and labor separate.
Then we can see where he may have been fair or taken advantage.
Keep in mind that they have already charged you for 1 alignment that should not have been done without the other repairs first.

My question is why are you finding out all these issues now ???

What did you ask to be done when you first went in? or did you just leave it to him to figure it out.....which he didn't.

If you decide to have them do the work, then I would ask them to show you the wheel and tire defects while they still have the parts available.
On the wheel they should be able to put it on the balancer and show if it is crooked/bent or damaged.

Also ask them to give you the before and after Spec print out sheet from the alignment so you can run it by posters on this site.

Silverfox
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM

Didn't you say in the original post you already got new tires?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

ya i agree with the posts above mine...you stated in your original post you had an alignment and new tires installed.

Why is the mechanic saying you need new tires, hub and alignment again?

is it the same mechanic/shop you brought it to or is this a different one? If its a different one, go back to the original shop who did the work and have them look at it again at no cost!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:43 PM

Alignment

Donbrew you posted a reply to alignment specs . Not to be stupid but it shows Front,RPO at +0.20 degrees plus or minus, FE!/FE3. Front RPO FE5 the same. What is RPO . What is FEI , FE3, FE5. How do I tell which I have. Looks like the wheels should be toe out,wide on the front. I just had new tires put on, they did an alignment and the car seems to search when going down the road. Not bad on smooth roads. But worse on rough roads. If it is to close to straight on the car does not know which way to go. You have to be always correcting the steering wheel a little. Did not notice that before the Alignment. So should the toe be wide or narrow at on the front tires. Will take it back to the tire dealer.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM

A few months ago I hydroplaned and spun around several times landing in a ditch. Since then I've noticed it feels like the wind is going to blow me off the road. It's really scary. I've had tie rod ends checked, front end alignment and new tires, none of that fixed it. Oh and the rack and pinion was replaced last year. What could it possibly be? It's the only vehicle I have and I'm scared to drive it, especially on the interstate! Please help😟
Well... If you had an alignment done, I am sure they would have pointed out any damage... However, I have seen some pretty shady stuff... I would be turning my attention to the sway bar links, stablizer bar bushings, and the control arms. If you hear any howeling in the front, that would also be your hub assembly. Kind of hard to know but I would start there though.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Control arm bushings will affect steering, swaybar bushings and end links not so much.
A very broad direction to the culprit.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Control arm bushings will affect steering, swaybar bushings and end links not so much.
A very broad direction to the culprit.
Not to try a tick you off Mr. Blue, but if the HHR is rolling harder/deeper when cornering and veering, it would definently cause a "panic" state with the driver and cause the vehicle weight to shift and lean harder to one side which could cause (given the right conditions) a vehicle to hydroplane. Given that the original poster lives in Mississippi, road grime tends to build up on the roads worse than up north more and their freeways have MAJOR ruts.

Although Mr. Blue here is correct, you really need to make sure there is no damage to those control arms. My wife bent one when that samething happend to her. So here is what I replaced to correct the issue...

Both control arms (Come as ball joint and control arm bushing assembly. C-arm bushing will wear out your sway bar links and struts)
Both sway bar links
Both stablizer bar busings
Both Front hub assemblies
Both Front Strut assemblies
and took it in for a wheel alignment

That fixed the issue for her and haven't heard a peep out of her since then. Until her Balance shaft chain broke but that story is awaiting moderator approval. ._.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Administrator

For body roll , I recommend a TTR rear sway bar, definitely takes care of problem in a crosswinds

Quick Reply: Car is all over the road!