Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CEL Purgatory

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Don, you know where their blowing smoke....
Old 03-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Yep. Small Leak means cracked tubing, if you can't see anything else.

I'd try getting a new vent valve first, they are cheapish (on EBAY) and DIY possible if you can get dirty under a car on jack stands.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM

I called the shop that I've started using for my Pilot and was planning to start using for the HHR routine maintenance. He did some checking around and the GM gas tanks are on back order with no ETA and they are $595. So if that's the part cost, it's not hard to get up to $1000 in labor, shop fees, taxes, and miscellaneous bs.

He did do some research with his system and found a TSB related to the code that suggests a ECM flash if no obvious cause of the leak is found. I didn't get the number but it was something about a very tiny hole that was occurring in one of the hoses. I guess the software flash basically modifies the testing parameters to avoid throwing the code. We are inclined to try this for the $100 - he has offered to not charge us if it doesn't actually work and the light comes back within the next month.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yep. Small Leak means cracked tubing, if you can't see anything else.

I'd try getting a new vent valve first, they are cheapish (on EBAY) and DIY possible if you can get dirty under a car on jack stands.

The dealer did the vent valve on the LAST round at the dealer. We overpaid to get it done, but we were way overloaded and just wanted the thing fixed and it wasn't worth the time and frustration of trying to figure out if hubby could do it. I was just in the mode of "I can't research anything else right now" because we had 10 different "research and decide what to do" projects going on and it just wasn't worth the aggravation to me.

As for which fitting, the notes say "at the cased in tank nipple/fitting for the evap system". Really seems like some super glue should do the trick!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Hey HHRMom_0791,

I'm sorry to hear of this problem that your son has been experiencing with the CEL in your HHR. I understand that you have been back and forward to the dealership for this concern. Please feel free to follow up with us regarding the dealership visits and let us know if you would like for us to take an extra look into this concern. We can be reached via private message if any extra assistance is needed. We look forward to your reply!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM

If they could SEE the leak, the could PUT a dab of silicone on it. I just can't figure out a way to see one of those parts with the tank installed.

I'm out of this now.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator

me too!! let the mechanic address this , not to be mean, but just that from this distance on the internet, I can't see it either, don't forget the used tanks I suggested and PM Bob he may have a tank from one of his project HHRs to help you out

www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48648
Old 03-11-2014, 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. It's been very informative! We accepted the offer to do the flash and we will see if that works. The guy at the local shop also seemed skeptical about how this could be seen without dropping the gas tank.
At this point, we are inclined to let it be until it's time for emissions so that any money we put into resolving the problem will be counted towards our limit to get a waiver. It's not a dangerous problem and there's really no urgency to get it fixed.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM

I have this same problem. Was going to start changing out some parts but the winter from hell hit.I'm with Donbrew. If they could see where the smoke was coming from, a little sealant would work great. This isn't under high pressure.