Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Changes following hub and axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Changes following hub and axle replacement

Not sure where to post this, but here goes. I just had both front hubs replaced (Delco), and in the process, the shop doing it found that one axle was frozen to the hub, and had to cut it to remove it. They sourced a new axle from NAPA.

I got the car back and the howling noise is gone, which was the point of doing the hubs. What I've noticed, though, is that the front end alignment seems to have changed. It was pretty much dead on, but now pulls a bit to the left. Coincidence, or related to the work?

Another thing I've noticed is that the gear shifts seem to be smoother than before. Whereas shifting into third, for example, would sometimes result in a slight 'crunch' as if the clutch wasn't fully engaged, that has all but disappeared. Again, coincidence, or related to the work?

Any of you guys have thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2022, 09:26 AM

If the alignment is changed it is because they bent something. Axle frozen to hub requiring cutting is BS. There are tools made for just that purpose. More likely the hub was frozen to the knuckle and they had to remove the knuckle to get it off; that would affect the alignment.
I don't know about the shifting, can't think of a connection.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Ok, thanks. In fairness to the shop, I'm not entirely clear on what the axle was frozen to, or why they had to cut if off. So I assumed the hub, but I'll ask for a better explanation when I take it in for an alignment. I've never known them to recommend doing anything on my vehicles that wasn't needed. As one of the owners said, "we're too busy doing what needs to be done to make stuff up."

I couldn't imagine either what the possible connection was with the shifting, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:21 PM
Administrator

The cv axle goes thru the hub and is secured with that 30 mm nut in the middle, sometimes it gets corroded in there, perhaps no anti seize was put on the splines. Most times a swat with a BFH will break it loose. That can damage the cv joints in the axle, the ball joint also. If the alignment is out, it’s either the tie rods ends worn out or the rear lower control arm bushings.

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-01-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Thanks, I fixed that typo!
Old 02-01-2022, 02:25 PM

Smack it with a BFGoodrich tire? You meant BFH
Old 02-01-2022, 03:06 PM
Administrator

It’s a family site! Some of my BFG tires turned hockey puck hard enough to do the job! lol! Thanks RJ
Old 02-01-2022, 03:16 PM

The tool made for the job is suspiciously named "hub puller". That and some heat and penetrating oil and a BFH will get it loose. My last resort would be to pull the axle out of the trans and pull the whole thing out; no damage involved. Cutting the axle shaft would never occur to me. Maybe a former junkyard disassembler with easy access to plasma torch.
Stuck to the knuckle is a whole other thing, I have been lucky only ever needed the small hammer.
I keep trying to make a good clown shoe joke, but they all come out too mean.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Yes a hub buster , they work
Old 02-01-2022, 09:21 PM

I was actually thinking of the more common puller to get it off the axle.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:27 AM
Administrator

You can use one of those to force the axle into the hub.

Quick Reply: Changes following hub and axle replacement