Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Charging system problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 PM

Charging system problems?

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some insight on the charging system in my 07. I had to get a battery not to long ago after having starting problems and started to monitor my voltage. So everything has been fine but earlier today I had a problem with starting again and I am only seeing 11.4v max even after starting and with the headlights on (to trip the "charging" ) I know that these cars fluctuate charging but seeing 10.4 and 11.4 constantly can't be normal can it? I have called the dealer and the only answer I get is "if there is no "check charging system" message it's fine.

I've read on here before about the grounds and fuses and all is in order there. I'll be getting the system checked again this weekend ato auto zone or advanced.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, let's wait and see what AutoZones tests reveal.
It could be a few things!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

10.4 or 11.4 when running generally indicates a "no charging" problem.

Don't let Autozone tell you automatically it's the alternator. The alternators in the HHR's do not have an internal regulator. Charging voltage regulation is controlled by the cars BCM(computer).
If they tell you it's just not charging, some further diagnostics will be needed.

Oops. Sorry......Welcome to the site.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM

with the headlights on (to trip the "charging")

Huh? Maybe in 1959 before Plymouth introduced the Valiant with an alternator.

The alternator supplies electricity to the car, as a side effect it keeps the battery charged.

If it is not operating correctly there are 3 things; Alternator, battery or a short in the system.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
with the headlights on (to trip the "charging")

Huh? Maybe in 1959 before Plymouth introduced the Valiant with an alternator.

The alternator supplies electricity to the car, as a side effect it keeps the battery charged.

If it is not operating correctly there are 3 things; Alternator, battery or a short in the system.
I say that because of this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V12I305.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiVw4unoavNAhWEbR4KHQeV ArQQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNGjJjF07Vq8ugs3pxUOzPcmq6ZujQ
Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
10.4 or 11.4 when running generally indicates a "no charging" problem.

Don't let Autozone tell you automatically it's the alternator. The alternators in the HHR's do not have an internal regulator. Charging voltage regulation is controlled by the cars BCM(computer).
If they tell you it's just not charging, some further diagnostics will be needed.

Oops. Sorry......Welcome to the site.
What diagnosis should I do if it comes back that way
Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Not exactly FMG; the ECM sends a turn on signal and a duty cycle signal (which could be called an old fashioned regulator) to the Solid State Regulator (like a triac) inside the AC generator (that's what GM calls an alternator) which in turn turns the alternator on/off.

The wiring diagram is too big to attach.

I should add that the starter is actually part of the charging system, since the B+ goes there before it goes to the battery and the rest of the system.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Not exactly FMG; the ECM sends a turn on signal and a duty cycle signal (which could be called an old fashioned regulator) to the Solid State Regulator (like a triac) inside the AC generator (that's what GM calls an alternator) which in turn turns the alternator on/off.

I should add that the starter is actually part of the charging system, since the B+ goes there before it goes to the battery and the rest of the system.
Funny you should say that. When I had starting problems I could hear the bendix in that starter engaging or stuck. I wonder if this whole problem is actually a starter peoblem....
Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 PM

When I had trouble starting it it did spud as if the bending was stuck engaged or hung up. I wonder if this whole problem is a starter problem...
Old 06-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by O7hhr

Since the RVC system allows changes to
vehicle voltage, up or down, under various
scenarios — the battery state of charge and
the vehicle’s present electrical needs are two
conditions taken into account — the voltmeter
may fluctuate. Conventional systems usually
maintain a consistent reading of 14 volts. The
fluctuation of the RVC system may range
between 12 and 14 volts. This is normal sys-
tem operation.