Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cleaned K&N air filter, code P0113, shifter click

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Cleaned K&N air filter, code P0113, shifter click

I decided to clean my K&N air filter today. After dealing with the maliciously over-engineered air box again, I cleaned the filter, let it dry, re-oiled it, and put it back in. During reassembly I discovered that the diabolical bolt above the alternator really is a grommet, after my T30 torx bit fell out of the head, and of course I can't find it.

Anyway, I happened to start the engine without the MAF sensor plugged in. After remedying that, when I started the again I got "Service ESC" and "Service Traction" messages of the dash display, and SEL light is on. I called OnStar and they read code P0113.

I'm familiar with the issues that over oiling these filters can cause, so I'm cleaning it again and will re-oil only the intake side if it. I pulled the MAF sensor and looked at it, but there didn't seem to be any filter oil on it.

The alarming this is that now when I press the brake pedal, there is a click coming from under the shifter, which I can feel in the trim ring. The click only happens with the engine running and the trans in park.

Other than the few inches (literally less than a foot) back and forth in D and R while I was checking when the click happens, the car hasn't moved since I started this morning.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with the service messages, does anyone know exactly how?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM

can you that i, too, forgot to plug in the map sensor after cleaning, and re-oiling, my k&n filter. had the same dashboard readout. shut off the engine. plugged it in and had the same dash readout. droveit for swhile, shut it down gain.....restarted and gone....fixed.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by alexrckid
can you that i, too, forgot to plug in the map sensor after cleaning, and re-oiling, my k&n filter. had the same dashboard readout. shut off the engine. plugged it in and had the same dash readout. droveit for swhile, shut it down gain.....restarted and gone....fixed.
I've restarted a few times. The dash messages only came up the first time, but the SEL has stayed on.

Did you also get the click under the shifter?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

is the k&n oil and cleaner the same for an airaid and others? maybe the oil doesnt agree if using another brand? or are they all the same?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
is the k&n oil and cleaner the same for an airaid and others? maybe the oil doesnt agree if using another brand? or are they all the same?
K&N filter, K&N recharger kit. No mismatch.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos
I've restarted a few times. The dash messages only came up the first time, but the SEL has stayed on.

Did you also get the click under the shifter?

The click under the shifter is normal. That is the shifter safety interlock. It is what prevents the shifter from being pulled out of park when the brake pedal is not depressed.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

hows the maf sensor? did u accidently knock it on something? is there any k/n lube on it? or in the pipe? those mofos are mega sensitive
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by frdfandc
The click under the shifter is normal. That is the shifter safety interlock. It is what prevents the shifter from being pulled out of park when the brake pedal is not depressed.
That's what the guy at O'Reilly said, but I never noticed it before those codes got thrown this morning. It's really obvious.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by skyline26
hows the maf sensor? did u accidently knock it on something? is there any k/n lube on it? or in the pipe? those mofos are mega sensitive
MAF was clean.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Never had that code come up on the HHR but when it came up on my GTO, FWIW, it was a bad IAT sensor. On the GTO, it's a seperate item but, from what I understand, on the 2.2/2.4 HHRs, it's part of the MAF sensor. I didn't see in the thread if you turned off the CEL (i.e. cleared the code), only that you had it read. If you did have it cleared and it came back on with the same code (P0113) you might need to actually replace the MAF.

Quick Reply: Cleaned K&N air filter, code P0113, shifter click