Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clicking passenger side airbag

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Clicking passenger side airbag

Or at least the clicking sound comes from the dash where the airbag is... This just started today, happens right after starting the car. It also stops clicking after the airbag initializing light on the DIC display goes out. (That's why I feel it's airbag related) The passenger airbag/seat belt light continues to say "off", there's nobody sitting there and nothing on the seat. Fan/heat/ac is not on so it's shouldn't have to do with the fan/circulation controls. Nothing odd in the glovebox. Nothing has been worked on in that area recently, no warning lights, just this rather loud clicking sound from the passenger side airbag area of the dash. Did not happen first start this morning, has happened on all but one start out of 7-8 starts since.

I did a forum search and didn't find anything relevant about this specific issue.

Any ideas?

Last thing I need is the airbag going off while I'm driving.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:48 PM

I can't think of any relays in that area. The shift interlock relays under the dash sometimes make noise with low battery.

The only thing I can think of that could make noise on the passenger side is the fan and climate control doors.

The airbags don't have moving parts, the control computer is under the console behind the shifter.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I can't think of any relays in that area. The shift interlock relays under the dash sometimes make noise with low battery.
Shouldn't be a low battery situation, but I haven't had it tested... It's shown no other signs of needing tested and is "only two years old". (I know that means nothing)

Sound is louder than a relay... actually louder than the turn signal "click" but about the same speed and pitch.

The only thing I can think of that could make noise on the passenger side is the fan and climate control doors.
That's what I figured and is why I mentioned that all of that is off... Nothing with the fan or heating/cooling system is activated.

My reason for thoughts of airbag, other than location of sound, is the clicking stops as soon as the airbag test/activation light on the DIC stops flashing as it always has...

The airbags don't have moving parts, the control computer is under the console behind the shifter.
The sound is definitely from the passenger side and not at floor level.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:13 PM

IIRC, doors actuate on start.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:49 PM

So the click would be the actuator?

If I haven't changed the blend control why would it move at all? I can turn the car off and immediately restart and cause this noise... without making any changes to AC/heat/defrost controls.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:54 PM

It recalibrates itself. I think.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Ok, this may be way off but...

Do you still hear door door chimes and such?
If not, maybe it’s your tweeter making the clicking noise.
Tweeter trying to make the chime sound but it can’t?

I figure the sound would happen with the flashing airbag light.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Here’s a thought, try a full 30 minute battery lobotomy.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by gio89kid
Ok, this may be way off but...

Do you still hear door door chimes and such?
If not, maybe it’s your tweeter making the clicking noise.
Tweeter trying to make the chime sound but it can’t?

I figure the sound would happen with the flashing airbag light.

My 2007 never made a sound while the airbag light flashes on startup... This is not an airbag warning I'm talking about, it's initializing, or going through it's check sequence on startup. Pretty sure they all do this. Also it's not the drivers side which is the tweeter that makes the chimes, which also still work. It's definitely the passenger side.

If this were the actuator then I should be able to make it happen by changing settings on the heater/AC controls. I'll check that tomorrow...
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 PM

Why would you be able to make it go into calibration mode by changing settings? It calibrates at each non-zero voltage.

Quick Reply: Clicking passenger side airbag