Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Climate control blower switch operation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 08:15 AM

Climate control blower switch operation

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR the blower stopped working a friend of mine told me it was the ground so from the
connector to the blower motor I cut the ground wire and wired it to the chassie now the blower only works on high I have no control over it I've changed out the resistor and the blower motor blower motor blows on full air all the time with no control change out the blower's control switch same thing any idea what I can do next Thank you
Old 09-22-2022, 08:28 AM

Don't mess with electrical thing, unless you know what you are doing. Friends are good except for advice on things they have no experience with.
The switch chooses the path to ground. High is no resistance. The resistor pack gets signal in from the switch and out to ground. The brown wire at the blower is always hot from the relay, the orange wire goes to the switch/ground.
If an unmodified fan only runs on high the resistor pack is bad. On 2006 models this is usually caused by a failed "butyl patch" under the windshield cowl. I bet the passenger side floor gets wet in rain.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Don't mess with electrical thing, unless you know what you are doing. Friends are good except for advice on things they have no experience with.
The switch chooses the path to ground. High is no resistance. The resistor pack gets signal in from the switch and out to ground. The brown wire at the blower is always hot from the relay, the orange wire goes to the switch/ground.
If an unmodified fan only runs on high the resistor pack is bad. On 2006 models this is usually caused by a failed "butyl patch" under the windshield cowl. I bet the passenger side floor gets wet in rain.

Yes it does! When the problem started I was getting no blower motor at all I replaced the blower motor and the resistor and there was no power going and we didn't even turn on once I grounded it now the blower works on high all the time I've changed the resistor 3 times now and still it just stays on high where and what is this thing under the window calling I should look for yes my floor does get wet. OK so I figured out what the patch is I'll take a look at it when I get home should I reconnect the original groundwire so it was the way it was and if the same problem persists what is the problem like I said I switched out the resistor 3 times there's a brand new one in there now and the same problem is still going on no control over the blower just blows on high
Old 09-22-2022, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

The 'thing' is under the cowl below the windshield.
There are many threads on how to fix this issue.
It sounds like by rerouting the 'ground' that you removed the resistor from the circuit.
Thus high is the only option.
Put the wiring back into the orig configuration if you can.
With any other issue COME HERE FIRST.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:33 AM

You essentially bypassed the resistor module. If you want all fan speeds you will need to wire it correctly.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lonwane
The 'thing' is under the cowl below the windshield.
There are many threads on how to fix this issue.
It sounds like by rerouting the 'ground' that you removed the resistor from the circuit.
Thus high is the only option.
Put the wiring back into the orig configuration if you can.
With any other issue COME HERE FIRST.

Ok I connected the ground backup in the original configuration it would it was easy to do but now I'm back to my original problem of no fan at all the resistor I just put in is brand new but the fan doesn't seem to be getting power what's your thoughts on that
Old 09-22-2022, 05:34 PM
Administrator

The HVAC control module. It is possible that a battery lobotomy might resolve this . Simply disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 to 30 minutes, then reconnect, this will reset the computer and may get your problem resolved.
If not then remove the HVAC control panel look for burnt or melted terminals on the back panel

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...control-63603/
Old 09-22-2022, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The HVAC control module. It is possible that a battery lobotomy might resolve this . Simply disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 to 30 minutes, then reconnect, this will reset the computer and may get your problem resolved.
If not then remove the HVAC control panel look for burnt or melted terminals on the back panel

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...control-63603/

Tried the disconnect no luck. The air work no check engine lights. Everything I could change fuses resistor blower motor control switch and I fixed the spot the leak was coming from. If I ground the blower motor it runs on high and that's all no control over it. Put it back to normal and no blower at all.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:54 PM

Have you checked the relay and fuse? I suspect what you think is the ground wire is hot wire, that is why I cited the colors. The orange wire goes to both the switch and the resistor pack. The resistor pack then goes to ground.
My guess is the switch is bad.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:58 PM

Yes I replace yhe relay and the control switch.

Quick Reply: Climate control blower switch operation