Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

clunk in the front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I've had both front sway bar stabilizers replaced, and also the front shocks. So far it seems alright, but time will tell. After they fixed the links it went away for a month, so I took it back in and that's when they replaced the shocks. We'll see if it comes back. Luckily I have a year left on my warranty since it was a certified used and comes with an extended warranty.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Has anybody looked into the strut bearings in the strut mount? The mfg of struts say that failure to replace the strut mount when replacing the strut can cause thunks and noises and alignement probs.
I replaced my struts (did not do mounts), but noticed the original bearing is just 2 plastic (Teflon?) discs with red grease between them. I got it aligned and got no comments from the tech. I have not noticed any odd noise from the front, but after I replaced the rear shocks I got some new noises back there.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Well, my HHR started the clunk about 2 weeks ago. It only occurs at low speeds on bumpy pavement. I also notice a shimmy if I break at high speeds. I assume its the stabilizer linkage. I am over the waranty. Has anyone had to replace them after they were off waranty, and if so how much did it run you? I dont have a lot of spare cash right now, as I am paying for my wedding. I am modestly handy, and If it is going to cost too much I may try and do it myself. Any further info would be great! Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM

now i'm getting it.

Originally Posted by opelpowered
Well, my HHR started the clunk about 2 weeks ago. It only occurs at low speeds on bumpy pavement. I also notice a shimmy if I break at high speeds. I assume its the stabilizer linkage. I am over the waranty. Has anyone had to replace them after they were off waranty, and if so how much did it run you? I dont have a lot of spare cash right now, as I am paying for my wedding. I am modestly handy, and If it is going to cost too much I may try and do it myself. Any further info would be great! Thanks

Yeah same here. I just started getting this clunk noise in the front end.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
I dont have a lot of spare cash right now, as I am paying for my wedding.
You will always be paying for your wedding.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Well I popped under the HHR tonight and confirmed its definitively the stabilizer linkage. I think its the bushing. I was able to push up and feel/hear the slack. The question is, should I try to replace it myself or have my mechanic do it. Has anyone replaced these bushings. It it as straight forward as it looks? It looks like you just take the nut off pop the bolt/bushing out and put in a new.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM

I'll find out if this is the same problem with mine, goes into the dealer Monday. Wonder what type of rental i'll get.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
You will always be paying for your wedding.
Say it aint so, Ours is next month, try getting married and trying to take advantage of the First time home buyers Credit at the same time.

I'm so broke it aint funny, but its worth it.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 AM

Broke, hahaha Im the definition of hahaha. I already own a modest house, that needs some repairs. My fiance and I have 2 kids, and I work for a start up company that has no cash flow right now. I am lucky to be getting paid. I havent seen anything other than a cost of living raise in the 3 years I have worked for this company.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM

The sway bar end links are poorly designed, I replaced one of mine for 45 bucks, took about an hour to fix. No more clunk.

Quick Reply: clunk in the front end