Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clunking/scraping noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Clunking/scraping noise when braking

Intermittent but exasperating. My HHR LT, 75k miles, started doing this clunky, scraping sort of noise as I brake for stop signs/lights. I don't hear it as I brake going down the road, only when I'm coming to a stop. As I slow down, it starts going clunk/scrape, clunk/scraaape, clunk-clunk-clunk scraaaaaape. (Sorry, but that's pretty much the way it sounds!) It goes along with the tire revolution and it seems to be coming from the driver's front side only. It doesn't happen every time, though, which makes it even more mysterious! I can't feel it happening in the steering wheel or brake pedal. Brakes were checked, they're supposedly fine. Had my tires and struts replaced last month and it didn't do anything about the noise. It sounds horrible and scares me a bit, and my mechanic can't seem to figure it out. He took apart the calipers to see if there was road crap in them, but nada. Brake pads are fine. Both wheel bearings have been replaced within last year. It's killing me not knowing exactly what it is! Anyone have this issue?? Thanks, y'all!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 PM

Did anyone think to look at the Lower Control Arm bushings? Get a new mechanic if the answer is "no".

Why does the length of time since replacement rule out at least checking the hubs?

Are the brake wear "screechers" installed correctly?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Hmm check to see if the splash shield behind the rotor is bent or damaged causing it to rub up against the rotor

Number 7 in this parts picture

And what Don said X2
Old 03-13-2020, 04:12 AM

Exact same problem here. What did you find working for you?
My brake pads are brand new, hubs less than a year old, new tires. Everything was running smoothly then after some winter road driving and perhaps a couple of potholes, that exact sound you described happens when braking at lower speed. Like scratch.... scratchhh..... scratchhhhh.... scratchhhhhhh and stop.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Grit in the pads?
Old 03-13-2020, 08:06 AM

When you come to a stop, does it seem that the car keeps going? LCA bushings.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:51 AM

The sound might be deceiving and coming from the rear wheels instead of front. Maybe rear brake. According to the passenger side it's coming from rear of vehicule. Strange. Gonna check it soon.

** No I removed both front wheels and installed brand new pads, did not see anything. No the vehicule doesn't want to keep going when braking, just that noise.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Double check the little springs where the pads fit into the calliper bracket, sometimes they can contact the rotors , also ensure the wear indicator is on the correct side , the inside pad.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
When you come to a stop, does it seem that the car keeps going? LCA bushings.
How is this possible ?
Pads make you stop.
For all others reading along, LCA means Lower Control Arm bushings.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Administrator

The worn out bushings allow the LCA to rotate almost an inch . This extra motion makes the brakes seem inadequate.

Quick Reply: Clunking/scraping noise when braking