Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clutch/accelerator/neutral safety/cruise control issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Clutch/accelerator/neutral safety/cruise control issues

Took the SS to Vegas this week. First day there, the intermittent throttle sticking/difficulty shifting issues came back again. Push clutch in, release foot completely from accelerator pedal, and engine holds RPM for about 3-4 seconds. once it finally starts to decelerate, then I can upshift (not easily, but at least it will go into the next gear). This comes and goes throughout the trip, culminating in the last day, when the clutch won't allow the engine to crank. So we push start it, with the Check engine light now illuminated. Make a few more stops, still had to push start. In addition, the cruise control no longer works. Start to head home, car starts, the Check engine light is off, cruise works, still having sometime problem with clutch and accelerator. Then stop to fill the tank, and all the problems come back again. Made it home, terrible MPG on the way home. Strong winds was probably a factor. 80 MPH 18-23 MPG. I've read about switches on the clutch pedal, but would that affect the accelerator? Does something need to be reflashed?

Ok, went to go get code read, no crank. (of course!) Thought I'd look for those switches on the clutch pedal. I knew that the clutch spring bushing was cracked. The clutch pedal was only about 1 1/2" off the floor. I pulled it back up, tried again, and it started! I didn't notice it the other times it wouldn't crank, but it could have been the case every other time as well. Code read P0806 clutch position sensor circuit.
I see TSB https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...58/#post276938 , Is that what needs to be done?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

A little confused by your description of :
"The clutch pedal was only about 1 1/2" off the floor. I pulled it back up, tried again, and it started!"

It shouldn't start with the clutch up(or engaged) It should only start with the clutch depressed (or disengaged)

I also believe the cruise control goes inoperative with the clutch pedal depressed.

I would replace the clutch position sensor and the return spring assembly for starters. Who knows, it also may be related to your high idle problem.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:17 PM

The pedal was sitting low, presumably because of the broken bushing. I'm wondering if pulling it back up caused the neutral safety switch to 'reset', because after pulling it back up, I depressed the clutch pedal and the engine cranked and started normally. I agree, the lack of cruise may have been caused by the low clutch pedal. Where is the clutch pedal position sensor?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

The sensor is on the top of the clutch pedal arm. Just above the return spring.
Little black/white plastic thing with wires plugged into it.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Well, the CEL is off again, starting yesterday, don't know why. I have discovered that the clutch pedal position (CPP) sensor and the brake pedal position (BPP) sensor are the same part. So today I switched them to see if my clutch performs any better. It seems to, but I will have to try some more to be sure. Please help me understand this - the CPP sensor affects the cruise control and the neutral safety switch? does it do anything else? The BPP sensor affects the cruise control and the brake lights? anything else? Thanks, Randy
Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Actually the CPP sensor just tells the computer if it's engaged or not. Now, what all exactly the computer can control based on the sensor reading, hell, GM is probably the only one who knows that.

The BPP sensor seems to operate the same way.

One odd thing I did learn a couple years ago. Once the car is started, the brake pedal has to be depressed at least once per key cycle before the cruise control can be activated. The cruise circuit somehow runs through the 3rd brakelight system.
Not a problem if you have a auto trans because you will apply the brakes when shifting from park to drive.
Now, I have a 5 speed and one time got on the interstate after a stop right beside the road where I had turned the car off. Apparently, I cranked up and got back on the road without ever touching the brakes. Guess what ? No cruise control. Took me about 25 miles till I figured it out. Even then I wasn't sure exactly how I fixed it. Later on, I did some internet searching and came across the 3rd brake light explanation.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Technical Moderator

Usually depressing the clutch will turn CC off.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Just realized that I had not updated this thread with results. I hate it when a problem goes without resolution.

Since swapping the CPP sensor and the BPP sensor, and replacing the worn clutch pedal return spring, I have not experienced any of the aforementioned problems. I also replaced the battery in late January of 2015, but I don't think the battery was causing any of these issues.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the follow up!! Great information!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

Just realized that I also had a new clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder installed in January of 2015, along with a fluid flush. So that's what fixed the difficulty in shifting. It seems my memory is less than perfect. Go figure!

Quick Reply: Clutch/accelerator/neutral safety/cruise control issues