Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Code P0650

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Smile Code P0650

I now have a nice 2006 HHR! And I have a problem! I have a P 0650 code. Any ideas how to clear this? I may not understand what is happning. It just started today. I can not get the DIC to change. It is locked in the MPG mode. And when I checked with a scan tool I got the P0650 code.
I am stumped on this one. I checked all of the fuses and they are fine. Any thing I am missing? Please help.:
Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Code P0650= Malfunction Indicator Lamp(MIL) control circuit.

Not sure on this one but if you've checked the fuses, it may be time to pull the instrument panel for further testing.
What kind of testing? Not sure here. This may be one for the pros.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Well a search for P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit did not turn up much except what P0650 relates to. I Googled and found this P0650

Description
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Output drive moduels (ODM’*) are used by the powertrain control module (PCM) to turn on many of the current-driven devices that are needed to control various engine and transaxle functions. Each ODM is capable of controlling up to 7 separate outputs by applying ground to the device whish the PCM is commanding ON. Unlike quad diver modules (QDM’*) used in prior model years, ODM’* have the capability of diagnosing each output circuit individually. DTC P0650 set indicates an improper voltage level on the output circuit that control the MIL.

Symptoms
•The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
•The PCM will store the conditions, which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Failure Records Data only.
•If the misfire is determined to be catalyst damaging, the PCM will flash the MIL.
Causes
•An improper voltage level has been detected on ODM D output 1 (the MIL control circuit)
•The above conditions are present for at least 30 seconds.

Solutions
Check for the following conditions:
•A faulty connection at the PCM – inspect the harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and faulty terminal to wire connections.
•Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
•If the harness appears to be okay, disconnect the PCM, turn the ignition ON and observe a DMM connected between the MIL control circuit and ground at the PCM harness connector while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the MIL. A change in voltage will indicate the location of the fault.
•Located the MIL fuse. If the fuse is open, locate and repair a short to ground in the MIL ignition supply circuit or a shorted cluster. Inspect the MIL fuse and replace as necessary. Did you find and replace the blown fuse and make repairs?◦Yes – Clear the DTC.
◦NO – Turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the PCM. If the jumper fuse opens, locate and repair a short to voltage in the MIL control circuit or a shorted cluster. Install a 3amp fused jumper between the MIL control circuit at the PCM harness connector and a good ground. Turn the ignition ON with the engine off. Is the MIL illuminated?◾YES – Leave the ignition on and remove the jumper. Is the MIL still illuminated?◾YES – Remove the instrument cluster. Test the MIL control circuit for a short to ground and repair as necessary. Did you fin and repair the condition?◾YES – Clear the DTC

◾NO – Inspect the PCM and PCM harness connector for faulty connections and repair as necessary. Did you find and correct the connection?◾YES – Clear DTC
◾NO – Replace the PCM

◾NO – Remove the instrument cluster. Test the MIL control circuit for a short to ground and repair as necessary. Did you fin and repair the condition?◾◾YES – Clear the DTC

◾NO – Test the MIL ignition supply circuit for an open and repair as necessary. Did you find a problem and correct?◾YES – Clear the DTC
◾NO – Inspect the cluster harness connector for faulty connections and repair as necessary. Did you find and repair the condition?◾YES – Clear the DTC
◾NO – Repair or replace the cluster. Did you complete the repair or replacement?
◾YES – Clear the DTC
I only hope it helps!!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM

Welcome to the site. Oldblue posted a really good diagnostic for you that should Help lead you to the problem. Also I have seen modules get confused and stop talking to other modules. Disconnecting the battery for a few minute. Will sometimes allow them to reboot and work again.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM

Codes P0650

I just jumped to soon! I had two fuses blown. On fuse looked good but I checked it with a meter and it was opened.
And I changed out the Solenoid that was giving me P0010 and P0011. I pulled the electrical part off of one of them getting it out. I sprayed some PB Blaster and waited 10 minites and It came out with no problem. On one of the solenoids there was small chuncks of rubber. This may have been blocking the oil flow.

I removed the oil filter and it was collasped. There was also ruber in the filter element. Is there something in the engine that is going bad or maybe the rubber on the element gave way. I changed the fluid and install a new filter. I'll get some miles on it and check the filter again. I just bought the car and don't know any of the history. It does have 97,000 miles on it.

Next week I am driving it to Norfolk,Va. So this will be a good experence.

Thanks for the help. Leroy
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Rubber chunks ? not sure if the solenoids are the source or not. keep an eye on the oil level and enjoy your trip
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM

I just put over 100 miles on the car and I checked the filter and found nothing. I think it came from the filter itself. The installation was simple and I don,t who anyone could mess it up!
I filled the gas tank and added a can of SEA FOAM, Driving on the freeways and at 65 MPH I got 31 MPG. These are great vehicles. My wife has a new Ford Flex and she like the HHR just as well!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:04 PM

The filters always appear to be "collapsed". Are you maybe talking about the O-rings? there is a small one at the bottom of the filter and a large one on the cap.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

You said there was "rubber" in the filter. Could this have been plastic?

The only thing internal that comes to mind would be timing chain guides/tensioners.
Granted, Ive never dealt with these parts on an HHR, but just trying to help you trace the source of the debris in the filter.

A collapsed filter upon removing a filter is a normal thing. It's been discussed on this site alot. Seems the reasoning is a wet, oil soaked filter is soft and the twisting motion of removal is what makes it appear to collapse.