Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

cold start no brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Unhappy cold start no brakes

On a cold start the vac.stays at about 10" for a minute then it goes to about 15" for a minute then in the next minute it reaches about 20" of vac.
If you pull out before that 20"vac. you have no brakes. It feels like the anti locks try to come on but you still have no brakes. Any quick fix? I also had a
water problem on drivers side front and back. They removed the whole inside and sprayed some type of sealer all over the inside, this was after the cow fix and the door seal fit and sun roof drain fix. So far so good.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Well known issue over more than one GM platform. I thought there was a TSB issued to resolve this.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM

There is a fix at the dealer for this. I got it done, and no more cold start/no brakes. The only other option is to let it run for about 15-45 seconds before putting it into gear.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Thank you I wil take this to the dealer.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM

I always.. always.. use the remote start and by the time i get in and turn the key, the pressure is there
Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Gee, I wonder why no recall or notification from GM. After all it is a brake issue.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Makes you wonder, I have a down hill drive,and its down hill to the stop sign at the end of my road and I still have no brakes at that point. Thank god for the suburbs.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dkessman
Gee, I wonder why no recall or notification from GM. After all it is a brake issue.
Not everyone has complained as not all seem to do it.

The car still stops as the brake system still was good it was just the power assist. Also GM had this issue right when they were the shortest of money. We were lucky to get a TSB.

The vaccume pump became standard half way through 09 so it is not a problem anymore. THe Solstice and SKy Turbo's had the same issues. THe LNF just builds vaccume very slow with an automatic transmisson.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Founding Member

TSB can be read here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hp?p=352393#31
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Not everyone has complained as not all seem to do it.

The car still stops as the brake system still was good it was just the power assist. Also GM had this issue right when they were the shortest of money. We were lucky to get a TSB.

The vaccume pump became standard half way through 09 so it is not a problem anymore. THe Solstice and SKy Turbo's had the same issues. THe LNF just builds vaccume very slow with an automatic transmisson.
I purchased an 08 SS and only new about the problem from this board. The dealer never mentioned there was or might be a problem on cold starts. I then realized that is why when taking a test drive the salesperson always started and moved the car, giving it time for the vacuum to work. Also, the dealer that made my repair was or acted like they didn't know a problem existed. I had to show them the TBS that I printed out from this board. The brake fix worked.

Quick Reply: cold start no brakes