Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Coolant loss and mysterious picture

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Coolant loss and mysterious picture

2006 2.2L with 238,000. I've been losing coolant for a while and cant seem to pinpoint where it's going. Oil test shows no trace in the oil. No coolant on the ground after driving all day.

Today I changed the oil and drove the car up on ramps before I began. When I did this and crawled under I noticed on the passenger side under the car coming off the frame rail near the exhaust coolant was dripping. It was like it pooled in the indentation on top of the frame rail and when I inclined the car it ran off.

After looking under for any signs from above I noticed on the firewall there was a short plastic spout type thing protruding from the firewall about 1 inch in diameter and about 2 inches long. There seemed to be a droplet of coolant on the end of it like it was coming from there and dripping down onto the frame. I don't know what this is or what it's for. Anyone know what the function is and could coolant be coming from it?

I took a picture but have never attached one, if someone can give me the quick how to I can add the photo.

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Your water pump may have gone south.

That "spout" is the A/C condensate drain. Have you been using the defroster or A/C lately?

Go to the How-To Library section there is a sticky detailing how to do pics.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Sounds like you may have a leaking heater core or hose(s) that connect to it. It would leak through the tube you described which is there to allow the condensate from the air conditioning evaporator to drain. Never seen this happen on an HHR but I recently experienced this on my brother's Expedition. It turned out to be a leaking heater core.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I live in Michigan and I've been using the heat with no issues all winter including the last few days. I don't have any telltale signs of residue on the windshield, but can smell the coolants lovely maple syrup aroma. As for the water pump, that's a possibility. I will have to dig in deeper.

Also, the "how to" section did not have info on posting pictures that i could find. This can't be that difficult. Every other forum just has a button to upload pics. Why does this have to be so tough to do?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Sounds like you may have a leaking heater core or hose(s) that connect to it. It would leak through the tube you described which is there to allow the condensate from the air conditioning evaporator to drain. Never seen this happen on an HHR but I recently experienced this on my brother's Expedition. It turned out to be a leaking heater core.
I second this analysis. If coolant is coming out of the condensate drain then the heater core or connecting tubes are leaking.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by babeba67
Also, the "how to" section did not have info on posting pictures that i could find. This can't be that difficult. Every other forum just has a button to upload pics. Why does this have to be so tough to do?
Click the 'Go Advanced' tab below the Quick Reply box. Go to the 'Advance Options' box and you'll see a 'manage attachments'. You can upload pix from there.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by babeba67
Hmmm...If we did things the way everybody else does, would we be driving HHRs ?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Administrator

No and we would not be different, either!! my thoughts are the heater core or a hose under the dash
Old 04-07-2014, 05:48 PM

My apologies, it used to be there.

Look up at the title bar, hover over "Photos" click "gallery" click "upload" follow the directions. Then to post in a thread before you have 30 days under your belt, copy the BB code of the pic you wish to post into the thread.

There is a tutorial somewhere I know.

Try this. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/site-development-help-announcements-18/how-upload-add-pictures-your-post-old-3033/
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the help, well i was able to get one step closer with posting a picture. I was able to upload it to my profile but did not see a way to attach to this thread. So, to see the picture of the "spout" on the firewall I'm talking about you can click on the camera icon in my profile and it should be there.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Coolant loss and mysterious picture