Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

This could happen to you

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM

This could happen to you

After trying to get my front end noise issues addressed by two dealerships, GM customer assistance, and finally a heated exchange with a GM service Rep.[GM Corprate idoit], I have a lot more insight into how the GM warranty system works and their views on warranty work. I've been through the GM warranty system, up to taking leagal action, so I am well aware of how it works[it does'nt].
Here's how it can work. You take your HHR in for a problem that should be covered under warranty. The mechanic can see the aftermaket part, and imforms sercice manager. Service manager contacts GM service rep. to see if GM will pay for parts and labor, and tells them it has aftermaket parts installed. If GM service[corprate idoit] turns request down, then he puts your VIN number into a database[shared by all dealships and service reps] so any other dealerlship service dept. is aware you have mods, and where. That gives them the excuse to turn your warranty into junk parts.
after asking what parts may void your warrant, the answer i kept getting. any part installed on vehicle that is not a GM certified part, may void you out.
That means, any aftermaket strut or strut parts, coilovers, MOOG end links,sway bars, bushings,turbo piping,engine and trans mounts, and even wheels with wider offset, among others.
So bottom line: you thake your HHR in for warrant work, you may or may not be lucky enough to slide through, but don't count on it. I took mine in to see if I could slide, and even knowing people at the dealships, they busted my chops. Anything painted red really draws their attention seems like.
I'll end up fixing this myself, as I had orignally planned on, but I just thought I'll give you folks a heads up, on what you may run up against.
All said and done, I may have a little Extended Warranty book burning tonight[since it seems to be not worth the paper its printed on. Too many GM corprate idiots that don't know their A-- from a hole in the ground about cars, and could care less about their customers. I'm done. "Moon"
Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM

My dealer could'nt find the front end noise problem, it should be coming back anyday as the temps have started droping outside , It only makes the noise in freezing wheather. After opening a complaint with GM, and having a case opened, the wheather got warmer, and the noise stopped.
The chick who was handling my case said she would call back after a couple of days to see if they were able to fix it. She never did, waste of time.

Realize my SS had been in the shop 14 times in that first 36,000 miles for a total of about 28 days. Replaced struts , sway bar bushings (2 times)steering components, stabilizer links, among other things. And put convetional oil in the car during an oil change (which i caught via the bill before driving away)

I know what your saying , Try another dealer, B.S. As much as i love the BAT RIDE , I will never buy a new GM car again. And thats too bad cause i love the camaro, But i'll be just fine with a 2012 or 2013 Mustang.
At 56,000 miles the SS could probally use a complete suspention replacment.
My daughters 2000 honda accord drives better , smoother, has had nothing but brakes and tires done to it, and has 120,000 miles on it !
I imagine the SS will be at a bone yard before it hits 120,000 miles , Or someone will put $10,000 in parts and labor into it, It won't be me.

Moonsign I feel your pain, Kinda glad i did'nt get the extended warranty.

Just venting, Again, I love my car. It's all just to bad.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Just from reading posts around here (not just yours) I've been getting this impression. Seems a lot of guys either A. get denied warranty service because they changed their lug nuts, B. dealer can not recreate the fault when it's blatantly obvious, or C. "Problem fixed" only to reoccur a few miles down the road, they are just hoping the customer won't come back......... Seems they spend more time and energy trying not to repair cars than it would take to fix them. Seriously, this will bite them in the butt eventually......

Sorry you got the shaft on this one, Moon, you got one sweet ride there.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Soooooooooo...................

Are owners of un-modded HHRs getting the same runaround?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mongo
Soooooooooo...................

Are owners of un-modded HHRs getting the same runaround?

Yup. 100% stock besides vinyl overlays and I have had break and suspension issues unfixed twice. 90% of the time I have sqeaking brakes since 12k miles, and my suspension when I hit bumps sounds like it is bottoming out and bangs constant clunks and squeaks. So far they can't recreate it but as soon as I leave it does it.

However for the turbo failure / wastegate it was fixed. The tire sensor was fixed, so they are helping me with the major things but not the minor things. However this is why I am not waiting till 7/11 when my warentee is up before I touch a thing on the car because I really do not need to give them a reason to void it.

Moon sorry to hear how yours is going. I wanted to do the extended but reading it realized it would be pointless with how picky dealerships are becoming.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 AM

..... and yet they 'claim' that GM customer service has improved.....main stream media to boot.....wonder how much that spot cost them!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 AM

I guess the Dealers/Service Depts know sunflowerhippi is a woman (based on avatar pic) unlike the guys did in the thread "Answer a Question with a Question"!

Didn't mean to go off the OPs post but I made an observation and had to comment...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...11033&page=928
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
I guess the Dealers/Service Depts know sunflowerhippi is a woman (based on avatar pic) unlike the guys did in the thread "Answer a Question with a Question"!

Didn't mean to go off the OPs post but I made an observation and had to comment...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...11033&page=928

Meh or they hate me because the chevy dealership used to be Pontiac and my GTO went in for more parts failure then the cost of the car new. :) lol
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

This is well known. I swap out all aftermarket parts before going in for warranty work. Ive swapped the intake so much I time myself now. :) With my cobalt springs, I just took the part numbers off.
Now that my bumper to bumper is over, I can go into the deeper mods, but my powertrain will stay stock until that warranty is over.
I will be testing this soon as my wheel bearing is going now and dont feel like swapping out the canuck motorsports springs, which are painted red. They may very well deny the repair.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM

I've gotten the run around so many times its not even funny. My car is in for the 8th time now. The new service manager is promising they will fix all the rattles and brake problems this time or they won't give it back to me. I told him thats what the other service manager told me the last 7 times. I apologized for being skeptical, but I reminded him that I have been to the dealer more times than he has and he works there, he is the new guy that started the day I brought it in for the 8th repair attempt on the rattle in the front end. (klunking and rattle)

Quick Reply: This could happen to you