Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Could these all be tied to the BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:26 PM

Could these all be tied to the BCM?

Bought a 2010 LT three years ago. First thing I noticed, the radio was giving me nothing but the left front channel. But at least it was there all the time...until suddenly it wasn't. Of the other three channels, RF and RR have made random appearances. At the moment, LF is trying to run everything, so it would seem, through the tweeter in the A post; even bad transistor radios never sounded this tinny. But from time to time, the door speaker will kick in; and randomly, I'll hear something from the right side. I was going to replace the radio, figuring the problem was in the output circuitry; but then other things started happening...

Driving home from a trip about two years ago, the DIC told me to SVC TIRE MONITOR. I paged through the DIC and noticed that one sensor was blanked out. Pulled over, checked the tire, nothing evident. Drove down the road, the sensor miraculously healed itself...and died again. At this moment, three sensors are blank; it's the one that went down first, I think, that is now showing me tire pressure.

My ABS light comes on...and then it goes out. Sometimes, as happened a week or so ago, I can drive to work with no warning lights on the dash. When I start up to leave, the ABS light is with me all the way home. Of late I've been cycling through messages to SERVICE ESC, SVC TRACTION CONTROL and telling me ESC OFF, along with the traction control warning light being on...or all of these could be off, depending, apparently, upon what kind of mood they're in. Sometimes, all these warnings show themselves as I'm slowing down the car, or making a turn, or just driving. The actual operation of these systems does not seem to be affected by this behavior.

In researching these behaviors on line, a lot of writers seem to tie them all to the BCM. Is that possible? How would I go about (1) checking that and (2) if possible, fixing that?

Thank you, all.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome
No. 1 is about 99% chance of it being bad speakers. Many members here over the years reported the same issue. Replace the speakers. The old ones are prone to water intrusion on the coils that cause them to corrod.
No. 2 you need to replace the Tire pressure sensors. Battery life on the originals is about 8-10 years if lucky. (I have one on my 2010 that just started giving the
- - - reading. Time for me to replace all of them.)
No.3 could be a number of things. You need to have the trouble codes pulled with a good code reader that can read ABS codes. Get the codes and post them up here and we can point you to the fix. Codes only like P0001, P002. Don't post any descriptions of the codes because some are misleading and down right wrong.
( my 1st guess would be you've got a bad wheel hub/speed sensor)

Not sure why or where you got the info to blame the BCM. It's rarely that.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Thank you, firemangeorge.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Two other things I neglected to mention:
  1. Y'know how the odometer displays when you put the key in the ignition? Mine doesn't always do that.
  2. The vehicle goes into nighttime instrument lighting mode in broad daylight. Sometimes it comes back. Sometimes it doesn't.
Any idea what controls these, and if this all ties into the BCM?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Post #2. See No. 3 on my list. Until you pull the codes, who knows.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Administrator

A low voltage battery can be the root of the problem, 12.4 volts or lower is considered dead.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM

That little gray bubble in the top center of the dashboard is the ambient light sensor, it controls the lighting modes and the DRL
Has anyone messed with the ignition switch? Has the recall been done? Does the key in warning work?