Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cranks, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Cranks, but no start

My motor is turning, it's getting fuel down the rail, it's got some combustion, kinda low compression, fuses are good, new starter, battery is good...
I'm at a loss y'all. Lol.
I have the parts to fix the timing chain, if it is that. But, I'm not sure. My friend pulled the crank case off and said that the timing looked good from there.
Any help appreciated ��

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 06-20-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 PM

Hi E.Davidson, to the forums!!

I've moved your post to it's own thread, the OP of that other thread never did give enough information for us to properly diagnose the problem. Come to think of it, you really haven't either. The year, engine size, miles, any codes, what happened prior to this, all these need answers. As well as what do you mean by 'some combustion' and 'kinda low compression'.

The crank case cannot be removed from the engine, it is the housing for all the internals. Do you mean the valve cover(up on top), or the timing cover(in front, actually passenger side)? Probably the valve cover.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:48 PM

So sorry!
its an 06 HHR 2.4L.
So, back story. I went to start it one before work ( it was just fine the day before) and it made what sounded like a rock being clapped against another rock several times. I turned it off and it would not start back up.
I thought it may have been the starter. It still wouldn't turn over.
The person I had look at it said they took the crank case off, I know a bit about cars but not this far into it yet. Lol...
His compression tester was missing an o ring (again, so he said..) and couldn't get an accurate read. He said the first 2 were low but still in the acceptable range. The 3rd cylander was low. And he didn't test the 4th.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

First post says "motor is turning" - latest post says it "wouldn't turn over" - which probably just means it actually did turn over, but would not start/fire up.

If the person who had a look at it said they took the crank case off, and also was missing an o-ring on his compression tester, and then diagnosed low compression in one cylinder, and didn't test the 4th - you need to find another person to look at it - preferably a proper mechanic with tools that work.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by E.Davidson
its an 06 HHR 2.4L.
it made what sounded like a rock being clapped against another rock several times. I turned it off and it would not start back up.
This is not a good sign...
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 PM

Indeed
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by E.Davidson
Indeed
You weren't ignoring a check engine light for awhile before this happened, were you? Just wondering why you happen to have the timing chain parts on hand.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM

Got it because that's what we think it is but not sure.. lol.
i had been. But I had the codes ran and said I needed an ignition control module and knock sensor. I just hadn't had the money for them. Lol..
Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I'm not sure what you are looking for at this point with the information provided. If you are looking for confirmation that it is a timing chain issue - yeah it MIGHT be the problem, and there is a good possibility that is it.

But it could be a holed piston, bent rod, dropped valve, bent valve(s), and the list goes on. Without opening up the engine and actually laying hands on it after a thorough inspection anything would be a guess.

So rather than just throw parts at it and hope for the best, get a competent mechanic to check it out. And just don't use that first guy who doesn't know his crankcase from an oil pan or valve cover.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Rocks clapped together, front timing chain guide broke and the valves hit pistons, resulting in low compression.
Timing chain replacement might resolve TTR problem but a bent valve or two might just have trashed the engine. Pulling the head will tell you that answer.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but no start