Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Cruise control

Where I live there are quite a few hills while driving on the highway. The problem I have noticed is when using cruise and going up a hill it will shift into a lower gear to make the set MPH(normal) but after clearing the hill and even going on a down slope afterwords it will continue to stay into the higher gear and the higher RPM's. This is the case most of the time and requires me to either lay down some gas to make it shift or turn cruise off and it will then shift out.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 AM

Lots of hills around here...mine works as it's supposed to.

Downshifts uphill, upshifts after.

Luck finding a solution,

Cajun / Al
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM

cruise control

I have the exact same problem. In cruise mode if I hit a hill it downshifts but then doesn't always come out of lower gear after toping hill. Only way I can get it to go back to normal RPM is to either take it out of cruise or tap the brake to get it to come out of passing gear. Took it to the local chevy dealer and the "Service Manager" said there was no adjustment for something like that because all that is mathematical calculations entered into the vehicle's computer. I walked away shaking my head wondering how he got his job.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by songman1505
I have the exact same problem. In cruise mode if I hit a hill it downshifts but then doesn't always come out of lower gear after toping hill. Only way I can get it to go back to normal RPM is to either take it out of cruise or tap the brake to get it to come out of passing gear. Took it to the local chevy dealer and the "Service Manager" said there was no adjustment for something like that because all that is mathematical calculations entered into the vehicle's computer. I walked away shaking my head wondering how he got his job.
What he thought he was saying was : "the BCM and the TCM need to have their programming updated" And that will cost you $79/hour, if he can stall you till it's out of warranty.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 AM

Kind of makes me appreciate my five speed more.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Go manual!

Yet another problem, like the shifter/shifter button stuck problem that was common on the 06-07 models, that I can't have! For all its crudeness, the 5-speed was a proven design and really does have the low failure rate that GM initially claimed (see the "walk around" video on youtube) for the automatic.

With the manual, the 2.4 shows how well it pulls on hills with cruise control. I've never had the speed drop much. I presume the failure mode, on a prolonged steep hill, would be that RPM would eventually drop enough that the engine wouldn't be able to pull adequately, eventually causing it to stall at low RPM. I just haven't had it happen.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by songman1505
I apologize for the time delay in getting with you about your situation with the cruise control on your 2008 Malibu. Have you thought about taking the vehicle to another dealership for a second opinion?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service