Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CV joint or half shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 AM

CV joint or half shaft

Hello;
We have a 2006 HHR LT (auto) located in Canada. Its been an OK vehicle, but certainly not one of GM's better vehicles we've purchased. We do a lot of driving, and this vehicle has close to 200,000km (last odometer reading yesterday was 199,010km). Engine has been flawless. Brakes, not so much. Front end stabilizers not so much.
Anyway, here is the latest issue: please accept my apologies, I am not a mechanic, so my descriptions my be "off" as compared to those that are in the know mechanically. I have done a search on this forum, but have not been successful. There is a "vibration sound" eminating from the front end when driving. It's pitch/loudness is directly propotional to speed. (It has nothing to do with the transmission or engine speed.) I say sound, in that there is no "feeling" through the steering wheel. When the window is open there is no disconcernable "sound" from the outside. We only experience it inside the vehicle. I was under the HHR the other day, and grabbed both CV drive axles. One has absolutely no play. The other has the slightest amount of play longitudionally (less than 1/8th inch). All the boots are in "good" condition.
Any thoughts as to if it could be the CV joints / axle?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Wheel bearing. I've had both of mine replaced and that's how they sound like when they go.

Yves
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 AM

Good Luck
I have a HHr 2LT 2006 with 129,340 miles on mine and I must say I am very lucky as mine drives like the day I purchased the vehicle. I wish you luck on your findings. I will be watching this thread.

Rudy
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Could it be tires?

You say it is directly proportional to speed BUT NOT engine speed. Is it possible to get the vehicle on a hoist and attempt the noise.....with the wheels off the ground, transmission in gear and engine running.....no noise, may be the tires (had this happen on another car). Just a suggestion for possible elimination.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Thank you for the input.
Didn't think it was a wheel bearing (had one front replaced already a while ago) - but then again, maybe it is the "other one". Thanks.

I didn't think it is the tires: albeit they are well worn (and they are not "OEM - they were removed the same day we bought the car), and as you can imagine, we go through a lot of tires. Thanks.

Will continue to work on it.........
Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 AM

Both front wheel bearings!!!
The score after 200,000km, three front wheel bearings.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1highmiler
Both front wheel bearings!!!
The score after 200,000km, three front wheel bearings.
I win. ;-)

Send prize to:

Yves
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM

I know what it is, but lack the correct terminology to explain it.
I was getting the same noise, I just jacked up the car and grabbed ahold of the axle shafts and wiggled them. They were solid down by the strut and the outboard CV joint, but where the shafts went into the transaxle, they were loose and sloppy as hell. That is definitely the problem. I would say the bearings that support the shaft coming out of the transaxle are shot. I think the CV's are fine.... I could detect no slop. What is the correct term for this bearing and shaft? I need to know what I am talking about when I try to get a price to fix this mess. Anyone have this problem before?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by ezeerider
I know what it is, but lack the correct terminology to explain it.
I was getting the same noise, I just jacked up the car and grabbed ahold of the axle shafts and wiggled them. They were solid down by the strut and the outboard CV joint, but where the shafts went into the transaxle, they were loose and sloppy as hell. That is definitely the problem. I would say the bearings that support the shaft coming out of the transaxle are shot. I think the CV's are fine.... I could detect no slop. What is the correct term for this bearing and shaft? I need to know what I am talking about when I try to get a price to fix this mess. Anyone have this problem before?
A.) 2.5 year old thread
B.) the axle is supposed to have a bit of play where it goes into the transmission. As well as at the inner joint (called a tripot). Otherwise you could not go over a speed bump.