Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Flex joint on downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Flex joint on downpipe

Just bought another HHR for the wifey. So far have replaced busted struts and plates, end links, output seal leaking(fixed under warranty) and now the flex joint has cracked. GM turned down the repair. 2k out of emissions warranty. $900 for repair. Searched and saw some have fixed with welding in a new flex joint. Is that working out good? Called local exhaust shop and said could fix for $150 or less. I live next to Va and already got a warning ticket. They take exhaust coming in the cabin seriously. Have to keep the windows cracked open when the heat is on because its pulling fumes in. Should I go for the weld or buy the whole pipe?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly4u
Just bought another HHR for the wifey. So far have replaced busted struts and plates, end links, output seal leaking(fixed under warranty) and now the flex joint has cracked. GM turned down the repair. 2k out of emissions warranty. $900 for repair. Searched and saw some have fixed with welding in a new flex joint. Is that working out good? Called local exhaust shop and said could fix for $150 or less. I live next to Va and already got a warning ticket. They take exhaust coming in the cabin seriously. Have to keep the windows cracked open when the heat is on because its pulling fumes in. Should I go for the weld or buy the whole pipe?
Weld it for sure if you know how...here is my how to, might be easier than changing a headlight(assuming you have a 2.2l or 2.4l)
It will hold up great and save you a fortune
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-repair-flex-pipe-31536/
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM

The weld on job will last longer, maybe forever. The whole pipe can be done in your garage with jack stands an a bit of muscle 5 nuts, 2 gaskets and some knuckle salve when you disconnect the HO2 sensor wires.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Thanks for the link! We are doing this project as well. I am waiting for arrival of the same pipe pictured in the other thread. I was rear ended a third time. Exhaust leak after impact. Insurance refused to fix it. So...... Mr FixIt is doing it himself.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM

I had the weld in piece done about year ago--no issues since. It cost around $200.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 PM

Well I've tried several local exhaust shops and none are willing to do the cut and repair on the exhaust. Car is sitting in driveway, because the fumes will give you a monster headache. Will try searching farther out when the weather permits. Have to keep the windows down.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Thats odd..all the shops I know do, its a common repair..try the local non brand name shop..they always need the business..
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Thats odd..all the shops I know do, its a common repair..try the local non brand name shop..they always need the business..
Technically speaking, they are repairing a catalytic converter....I'm wondering if there might be some kind of legality issue involved depending on what state you live in.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly4u
Well I've tried several local exhaust shops and none are willing to do the cut and repair on the exhaust. Car is sitting in driveway, because the fumes will give you a monster headache. Will try searching farther out when the weather permits. Have to keep the windows down.
Just to be clear, you have bought the part and you have it in your hand when you go to the mechanic? It is not a part that they might keep in stock. When I did mine the only problem I had was the welder wanted to have the car in his shop, not just the pipe.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Technically speaking, they are repairing a catalytic converter....I'm wondering if there might be some kind of legality issue involved depending on what state you live in.
You are spot on. They are not supposed to modify a converter. They can cut out a faulty one if there isn't a OEM replacement, which there is for the hhr, to the tune of 400 bucks. I did find 2 today, that said they have done them before, so i'm going to pay them a visit tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Flex joint on downpipe