Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Defective Ignition Lock Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Angry Defective Ignition Lock Cylinder

Last week when we stopped for gas, we were unable to remove the key from the ignition or turn the engine off - wiggling the wheel, shaking the steering column, going from "D" to "PARK were no help.

I finally dosconnected the battery cable and the engine shut off

Had to call a tow truck and bring HHR to dealership - Unfortunately, my HHR had 40,000 miles on it and out of warranty and the bill was pretty high to trouble shoot and replace the ignition lock mechanism

The shop told me they are replacing 3 to 4 of these a month but GM refuses to acknowledge the problem and issue a recall

Not only was this repair expensive - it would have been a serious safety issue if my wife was driving by herself when this happened.

If your HHR is still under warranty - I would advise you have this checked out before it breaks

JG Pottsboro Texas
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Deceased

First off, to the forum!

The stuck key issue is one bone of contention between some HHR owners and GM, there is a handy "unsticking" section in your owners manual just in case. Here's the latest thread on the key problem for you.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=stuck
Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hope you at least got a FREE tow, Your vehicle is covered for an Emergency Tow for 5 yrs/100K

Look in the back of the owners manual, Chapter 7, Page 6, Roadside Assistance Program..
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Sleeper - I did not know this but fortunateley my auto insurance covered the tow - unfortunately I am "old school" and hardly ever read any manuals - I wish GM would own up to the problem - looks like another speedometer fiasco on silverado pick ups

John
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Mine had the same issue...and same repair. (Roughly $300 I think).
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Lock Cylinder

Up until the purchase of my 2011 HHR,my wife and I had identical 2009 Cobalts. I too, had the same issue where I could not shut off the engine,or remove the key. I finally went under-hood and removed the main circut breaker from the "Fuse Box" to shut it down. In the morning I went directly to my local Chevy dealer in Tempe,Az and told them what the issue was. At the time I had 44k on my Cobalt. About two hours later,the Service Writer came to me and said "Your all set". Expecting to bend over and grab my ankles,he said we "Took care of it". He went on to say that GM had been having issues with lock cylinders and they realized it was a major issue. I have been in the automotive industry for over fifty-two years and understand all facets of how it works...and as far as I am concerned, Chapman Chevrolet knows what "Customer Service" means...hats off to those guy's!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Dear HHR in Arizona,

I am glad to read that your dealership was able to take care of your situation with your Cobalt. It is great to read that you are receiving the customer service that you should.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM

same exact situation happened to my wife this past friday...she went to lunch break and upon arriving back at her job the key would not turn the vehicle off..its a 2010 2Lt with 18K miles...the local chevrolet dealer took it in at 3:30 pm and had it returned to her at 4:15 pm no questions asked. The service manager said this is a very common occurance with the equinox, hhrs, colorados, etc so they had several of the igntion cylinders in stock. Even though her hhr was purchased 55 miles away at another chevy dealer i was very happy with the service and speed my local chevy dealer provided. May have to do more business with these guys in the future.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Dear dbmachine,

I have read about the situation with your wife's situation with your HHR. I apologize that she has had to experience this.

I am glad to read that the dealership took care of everything.

In the future, don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Its not just GM with this problem when I worked for a dodge dealer we would get cars in all the time with the key stuck in the run position. its a safety device that somtimes gets out of adjustment.

Quick Reply: Defective Ignition Lock Cylinder