Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

(a different kind of) "key stuck" issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Angry (a different kind of) "key stuck" issue

Strange, today I was out & when I parked I could turn off the engine, but not to Lock & key would NOT come out. I tried again, & I was able to get it to shut off fully & to lock, & remove key. Rest of my stops were fine.

I have new battery, Fob works great & stereo. This was weird. I've been digging in the archives but can't find my situation as yet.

I'm aware of the access hole under the column, but haven't had to use it yet.

Last edited by sleeper; 01-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Are you sure it was in Park? Otherwise one of the solenoids/switches is sticking
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Yes it was fully in Park, & when I turned the engine back on & pulled the automatic shifter to D, then back to Park, key came out easily.

Are you referring to a solenoid in the steering column ?

No sodas ever spilled or anything near my shifter. But I still haven't had that ign recall done. Dealer says with a TPMS light on, legally they must fix that first, read $$$ then they can do the ign recall.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Technical Moderator

I think the only trigger is the micro switch in the shifter. A solenoid in the steering column.

I don't think the recall would fix it. Maybe the shifter extended warranty.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Don. I'll see what I can do.

How come I can't find this thread since it has been relocated & renamed something totally unrelated.? it is my original key that had the issue today.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Thanks Don. I'll see what I can do.

How come I can't find this thread since it has been relocated & renamed something totally unrelated.? it is my original key that had the issue today.
You can find all threads that you have started, on your profile page, statistics tab.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Technical Moderator

Well, I created a new thread because the long thread you tagged it to the end of was not related at all. That was about "no power at all, can't remove key". I just made up a name during adult beverage time, RJ or somebody seems to have embellished that name.

I assumed the scroll "feature" got you thinking you had started a new thread.

You can find your posts by clicking on your user name at the very top right (next to the bell) and choose one of the links in the drop down; like "My Recent Posts".
Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Not related to the key thing but with the "new thread" thing... Sometimes when you guys are editing/chopping up/cleaning up threads I have a weird thing here where it won't load properly and show me all the posts. It's usually straightened out after several hours, sometimes it takes over night. Not an important issue, but I've never seen it on any other forum, so it's just something odd with this one. Could be related to why sleeper couldn't find the thread.

(I have the "scroll" thingy turned off, by the way)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Technical Moderator

Sometimes refreshing the page works, the back button does not always refresh it.

Yes, it is strange at times.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Sometimes, I don’t see the issues for a few hours, then fix them in the early morning hours.

Quick Reply: (a different kind of) "key stuck" issue