Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

(a different kind of) "key stuck" issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

OK, Thanks all, (+Thanks for topic name change as well)... I know how to find threads.. Last night was JUST weird, it wasn't showing up at all.. Maybe because it was in the transition phase to new topic name, IDK ? Like Greybeard posted.

Anyhow, back on topic, I have found some ancient (step # 1) advice in archives about my key not wanting to turn fully off yesterday. I did tag onto one of them, my bad. I'll start a fresh thread should I need to in future. But I do use the search function..Tons of great info there,...

And following the old advice, to shoot a shot of WD-40 into the key switch, so far so good. But time will tell, I realize the shifter solenoid(s) may be the actual cause yesterday. But I'm doing it step at a time.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 PM

Sleeper,

Just a note to mention I had the shifter replaced under Warranty a while back on a 2011 2LT Auto that had the key problem.
The Dealer just went ahead and put in a brand new shifter and that fixed the problem ..... but I really noticed a much better feeling and operating unit after the change.
I mention this in case you have a case here to get it replaced under the extended program..... You will be glad you did.
Maybe they will do the ignition switch issue at the same time.

Silverfox
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

SF- I always appreciate your input. I have to look into that, I was thinking of updating my 08 shifter to the 09 style anyhow.

Guess I need to find the reference to that 'extended warranty' program.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

And before I go that route I think I'll give the shifter micro-switch a decent squirt of some WD-40 for good measure..

Last edited by sleeper; 01-17-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM
Technical Moderator

There are 3 TSBs that say replace key cylinder (recall) and 1 that says replace shifter (extended warranty possibly). Depends on the exact failure point (diagnostic charge).
Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 AM

You should consider using graphite powder - it's a dry lubricant especially good on lock cylinders and such.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
There are 3 TSBs that say replace key cylinder (recall) and 1 that says replace shifter (extended warranty possibly). Depends on the exact failure point (diagnostic charge).
Thanks Don, I have the recall letters for the ign switch, The shifter I've read must present as being stuck in park, or key won't turn off fully.. Hard to get that to happen for them, it hasn't happened again (so far).

Originally Posted by PittKrewBowling
You should consider using graphite powder - it's a dry lubricant especially good on lock cylinders and such.
Yes Thanks, agreed, & I have the powder. I wanted to use the WD-40 tho.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Technical Moderator

I found the relevant TSB!!
06-07-30-004G regarding the microswitch
09-02-35-005A regarding replacing the ign cylinder (not the recall) applies to HHR built before April 14, 2009.

The letter at the end indicates revisions, My database only cover to 2012. I think there may have been more revisions to the microswitch TSB to add HHR to the first few corrections.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Sleeper,

I don't doubt WD-40 will fix the problem but there is a much better spray lubricant that I switched to 25 years ago and just use the WD as a road tar remover for the HHR paint occasionally when I see some.
It is also used here for a Herring bait spray to improve the catch for King Salmon. The smell attracts them.

I call this my Miracle secret sauce as it has saved me so many times with Rinky Dink issues. It will last longer then WD as well.
Both of the products have a fairly strong smell so that's a wash.
I think there are others here that have used this as I recall.
Tri-Flow 4oz Aerosol Spray Lubricant
$7.11 from Johnson Plastics Plus
95% positive (619)
A superior lubrication spray containing Teflon. Penetrates and protects without gumming up! Air and international shipments ...Spray · Liquid

The Walmart here did carry it last time I looked but many other auto parts store have it now as well.
Check it out ... it's worth a try.

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 01-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Administrator

But still, please get those issues repaired as GM directs it, then you are off the hook , so to speak, should the ignition problem crop up!
The onus is on the owner to follow up in a reasonable period of time, so you have to buy tires a few months early.

Quick Reply: (a different kind of) "key stuck" issue