Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Do I have to replace the air bag

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM

Do I have to replace the air bag

Hi my name is Denne. I just bought a HHR Lt 2008. The service air bag light is on. The code that came back is B0023, right roof Rail deployment. I was told that the wiring is bad and that I have to get the air bag replaced because the wiring cannot be fixed separably.

My questions are:

Is this true?

Since it is the roof air bag can I just disconnect that air bag so I can get an inspection sticker. Does this code enable all air bags?

I appreciate any answers.

Thank you
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the ChevyHHR.net!!!

First off - you do NOT want to be messing with the air bags - doing so can cause a serious injury to yourself.

Circumventing safety items, such as air bags, aren't really an item for discussion here due to liability issues. If I told you how to disable the bag, and you got injured because of it, guess who you are going to be mad at? Me and the forum owners would be open for legal action - so, sorry we really don't want to get into a discussion over it.

Wish we could help, but you are on your own. Really though - please don't mess with it - you can get seriously hurt if you one has not been trained on working on the air bag system.

Closing this thread.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Oh - one last thought - if you bought the car from a dealer they might be obligated to fix the airbag system (our administrator might be able to add more advice on that - I'll send him a pm about it).

If it was a private sale you are likely on your own however.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Deceased

Sorry for the delay in reading and replying to your post Denne.

Disabling SRS components like airbags is illegal, it's actually a felony. So that's not the route to go, especially as whopper stated above, SRS components can seriously injure or kill you.

If the vehicle was purchased from a dealership, they would be obligated to repair the faulty SRS components before selling the vehicle. That is unless the vehicle was purchased as "Salvage" with said condition noted on the bill of sale and the title.

If you purchased the vehicle from a private party, they would be liable for civil litigation if they did not disclose the defect at the time of sale.

As noted already, due to liability issues, we will not provide information on disabling any SRS components here. Before continuing to operate the vehicle, you should take it to a GM dealership for a diagnostic check of the system.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.

P.S. to the forum!