Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door Lock Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Door Lock Wiring

Does anyone know the wiring colors for the door locks? I want to add a switch by the rear hatch that would allow me to lock the vehicle manually before closing the hatch. I use my HHR for deliveries and would like to be able to hit the lock button, close the hatch and walk away without having to juggle packages and dig out my remote. I figure it will be easy enough to tap into the lock wiring going to the hatch. Any idea if the harness is on the left or right?

Thanks,
CJ JAX
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM

You would have to tap into the wires from the front door lock switches and run it down to the back. Don't havethe diagram handy, but I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help. Realized shortly after posting that the wires to the hatch lock would only be activation and not control. Still not too bad to run something to a switch in the back once I know what to tap into.

CJ JAX
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Cool idea. When the locks are activated with the hatch open, the door locks do lock, and when the hatch is closed it is locked as well, and the alarm system is activated (at least on my 06).

If you have a spare key fob you could mount it in the rear near the hatch - would save the trouble of running wires, mounting a switch etc..
Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 AM

I like the idea but you may want to do the extra key fob idea. the power locks are controled by the body computer. when you make a lock request at the switch a resistance value is set to the body controller then the controller activate the power lock motor or motrs depending on the programing. not as simple as taping on to the switch wires. you could tap onto the activation side of the wire but you would have to tap on to all of the power lock motors to get all the doors to lock.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 AM

Heres the diagram, looks like theres a white wire going from the BCM computer in the center console around and up into each door. Best way is to pick up another identical switch and wire it in, as it looks to use a straight ground to signal lock doors and a load resistor to signal unlock.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Heres the diagram, looks like theres a white wire going from the BCM computer in the center console around and up into each door. Best way is to pick up another identical switch and wire it in, as it looks to use a straight ground to signal lock doors and a load resistor to signal unlock.
I think adding a factory switch would be the best way. also dont forget there is not a lock motor for the rear hatch. when locked the body controller turns off the rear hatch release eletricly.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Uh, that system is built in. Open the hatch, use either your fob or the all lock button on the driver door, after you close the hatch all your doors will lock in a couple of seconds.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM

my HHR has a factory switch with lock and unlock in the back on the passenger side...i have a 2010 hhr panel maybe its a panel thing
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
my HHR has a factory switch with lock and unlock in the back on the passenger side...i have a 2010 hhr panel maybe its a panel thing
I did not know that the 2010 panel had a power door lock switch in the back. My 08 panel doesn't have one.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Wiring