Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dreaded intermediate shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 05:19 AM

Dreaded intermediate shaft?

I have a rattle that to me sounds like it is coming from the upper driver's side of the dash when I am driving, but I am pretty sure it is the intermediate shaft? I have uploaded a video, it is really loud in the video for some reason, it isn't that loud in real life. Also, more of a rattle, than the clunk in the video, but guessing it is all related.

did they improve the new shafts? or is it the same ones that will wear out very quickly again?

Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM

Very quickly? The car is at least 10 years old.
The intermediate shaft is the lower end. The part that makes noise is in the engine compartment.
Intermediate shaft causes more of a feel than an actual noise. It is a loose universal joint.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

This end out in front of the firewall below the brake booster , this U joint was loose and the sliding shaft was ceased. I suggest replacing the shaft. RockAuto has them listed for the LS/ LT models, don’t forget our discount code. The SS shafts are very different and are obsolete, no longer available.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

This end out in front of the firewall below the brake booster , this U joint was loose and the sliding shaft was ceased. I suggest replacing the shaft. RockAuto has them listed for the LS/ LT models, don’t forget our discount code. The SS shafts are very different and are obsolete, no longer available.
That is the intermediate shaft I am guessing? Really just wanted to make sure what I was hearing, was related to this shaft before I ordered one. And wanted to order the correct thing.

Thanks

This is my concern about changing the shaft. My noise pretty much sounds the same. He replaced it and it didn't fix the issue.

Last edited by tsbrewers; 10-14-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added video
Old 10-14-2021, 10:29 AM

Like I inferred, the noise does not come from the upper column, it is located on the other side of the firewall, you might "feel" it.
If your sound is from the upper part it is something else, like something loose or broken inside the housing. Things that come to mind are: clockspring, turn signal wires hanging around from sloppy install/removal/recall work etc.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Is that new concrete?
Looks pretty clean, but a different color.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Good eye yes then new concrete
Old 10-15-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Like I inferred, the noise does not come from the upper column, it is located on the other side of the firewall, you might "feel" it.
If your sound is from the upper part it is something else, like something loose or broken inside the housing. Things that come to mind are: clockspring, turn signal wires hanging around from sloppy install/removal/recall work etc.

Actually, I am pretty sure it comes from the upper interior part of the column. I think it is the steering gear that is attached to the steering pump.

this video seems to be what my problem is. Looks like a company out of canada has made a replacement, supposedly better part, that runs about $375? or so USD.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:46 PM

It is electrical, a motor, there is no pump.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Does it affect anything besides your senses? If not; relax, don't panic, find your towel.

Quick Reply: Dreaded intermediate shaft?