Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Drivability issues - 2011 hhr

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Drivability issues - 2011 hhr

Hi, I've been having a problem with my 2011 HHR 2.2l- the car was idling low for a while and them began jerking back and forth, like at an irregular idle speed.

I took it in and got codes P0011 and P0017- I was told to change the cam sensors- which I did, but no fix- then we switched the oxygen sensor, still no change- next we changed the timing chains, tensor and everything in the kit, nada- then we tried both the intake and exhaust solenoids- Suceess! But only for a week, now it's back to doing the same thing.

I'm not sure, but I think I get the faint scent of oil after a drive it around. I did have the throttle cleaned too, not sure if that matters. Also, while in motion, like on the freeway, I can feel it pull back a bit, like no gas or too much gas gets fed to the car.

Today, I checked the solenoids, they were a bit dirty with tiny aluminum pieces. I'm going to change the oil, which I didn't do, and give it a full tune up. Not sure if this will cure the darn thing, but I'm at my wits end.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Just want to say, I've never had an issue with the car till now- I change the oil every three months and take good care of it. Oh, and I checked the wires on the harness, nothing seems amiss. Thank you for any help you can provide. Alex

Last edited by whopper; 05-13-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Edited into paragraphs ease redability for us old folks :)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

What are the CURRENT codes downloaded at this point?

If you found tiny aluminium pieces when you removed the solenoids, it may be pointing to a more serious problem internally in the engine.

When swapping out the solenoids, it is best to do an oil/filter change at the same time, as contaminated/dirty oil can cause the p0011.... codes for the solenoids.

Go ahead with that oil/filter change and see if that helps. You might have to check the solenoids at the same time to make sure they are clean.

PS: I've moved your thread to the more appropriate Problems section
Old 05-13-2016, 01:50 PM

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0017

P0017 usually means timing chain is bad or the guides or the tensioner.

The p0011 means Solenoid/Valves NOT sensors.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:00 PM

2011 hhr

When I took the car in, I checked the solenoids to see if they were dirty again, which they were, not as much as before, not even close, thus we decided to change the oil filter and oil. The mechanic told me the aluminum was from the cam kit we interchanged, because it was in pieces when we switched it out.The thing that's strange is that the problem did not persist after the solenoids were changed- it was only after a week. Is it wrong to assume that if it were a more serious problem, the changing of the solenoids would have made no difference? This is why it's a frustrating issue. Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 02:23 PM

I don't understand. You are dribbling info out.

What cam kit? What has been done? What are the current codes?

Pieces of aluminum in the solenoids will kill the solenoids. Its pretty much useless trying to clean them. They are actually Valves.

The part that is actually a solenoid is the part attached to the camshaft gears. Bits of aluminum can trash them too.

The terminology is very confused.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

How many miles are on this engine ?

Sadly. It sounds like the mechanic is just trying to "throw parts at it" to find a fix.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
How many miles are on this engine ?

Sadly. It sounds like the mechanic is just trying to "throw parts at it" to find a fix.
The codes still show up P0011 & P0017- what I mean buy the timing kit we replaced is the cam chain, tensor and some other bits- I purchased it at Oreily auto parts as a "timing kit". I'm sorry if I'm confusing in my description- I'm doing my best to be as clear as possible. Thanks

Originally Posted by AlexVargas
The codes still show up P0011 & P0017- what I mean buy the timing kit we replaced is the cam chain, tensor and some other bits- I purchased it at Oreily auto parts as a "timing kit". I'm sorry if I'm confusing in my description- I'm doing my best to be as clear as possible. Thanks
Forgot to mention, the car just went over 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by AlexVargas
Forgot to mention, the car just went over 100,000 miles.
The solenoids I replaced were the intake and exhaust solenoids

Last edited by Oldblue; 05-13-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: House keeping
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM

You did not replace anything made of aluminum. That is not where the shavings are coming from.

You checked with a magnet?
Checked all of the wiring?
Checked all the connectors?
Is the new tensioner installed correctly?

I would change the oil every several miles until the metal is gone.

AFTER the work was done you have P0011 & P0017?

Was the crankshaft position sensor re-calibrated?

Did you look at the link I gave in post #3.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Hhr

Originally Posted by donbrew
You did not replace anything made of aluminum. That is not where the shavings are coming from.

Hi there, I just changed the oil and did a full tune up since it was due next month anyways, and we ran the car through the computer- the P0011 is gone but it's been replaced with P0340- the P0017 is still there- the cel came up immediately but we erased it, and restarted the car- we left it on for an hour, drive it a bit, but the cel is not coming back on- the car does feel the same though and it began idling low while at a stop. I'm waiting for the CEL to turn on again to see what it marks- as mentioned before, the cam sensors were both replaced and new.
I didn't check with a magnet but will plan in changing the oil some more- there were little plastic and aluminum pieces in the filter and oil.
I did go over all the wiring and everything looks good- nothing looks amiss. I didn't know I had to recalibrate the cam sensor- how would I do that? Thanks again for all the help
Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew

I think the tensioner is ok, but maybe I'm going to have to get in there again.

Quick Reply: Drivability issues - 2011 hhr