Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driver seat uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Driver seat uncomfortable

Anything I can do to make this seat more comfortable? My lower back is screaming after about 45 minutes of driving. I've tried all sorts of different adjustments with the available controls with only a minor improvement. I can't put my finger on what the exact issue is either. 72 hours after delivery and I am really starting to question my purchase decision for this reason.

I miss the cushy leather seats in the Ford Five Hundred I traded in
Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 PM

No help here. I think the HHR driver seat is one of the most comfortable I have had in any car and one of the reasons I purchased it. I am only 5'7" so maybe that helps?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Your topic can up just after the HHR was introduced. Then a few times afterward. To my knowledge no cure has be discussed......other than possibly changing seats. That, my friend, could be an expensive proposition.

For the most part, most owners believe the seats are RELATIVELY comfortable. Myself, I need and should have lumbar surgery, and I find the seats acceptable even on long trips. I'll be taking on annual America Run in another couple weeks. The HHR is my selected vehicle.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM

You didn't say which seat option you have.
Mine's the regular SS seat.

I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam
I can't shift my foot from accelerator to brake if I pull the seat close enough for my arms to be comfortable.

I keep it set as close as I can, all the way down, front of the seat up 2 nudges and lumbar off.
My right side ribs scream after driving anything more than 600 miles in a night and 1000 or more just about kills me.
It's worse if I take windy twisty roads for over 4 hours or so.
It's like doing a combination sit-up, front dumbell lift & pec flys for hours non-stop.

In other words, it's not as comfortable as my 90 Talon TSI was.
I drove back from Denver to Boston burbs (>2000 miles) in almost exactly 48 hours with no ill effects.
I was 10 years younger and 20 lbs lighter but, Hell, those were some comfy seats!

To complicate things, I recently re-injured an old carpentry injury.
Left rotator cuff with tendon damage into my bicep.
And I like to drive with my left but now I can't.
The arm hurts even if I don't use it but if the ibupropin's working and I forget...It's agonizing.
Comfort's over-rated but pain sucks.

Maybe try a pillow.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

sheepskin seat covers for more cushion ?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
You didn't say which seat option you have.
Mine's the regular SS seat.
I've got the non SS seat.

I'm perplexed a bit. I had an '09 as a rental for a week about 6 months ago and experienced no such issues. The curve of the seat seems to be out of whack with the curve of my back. I'm 6'0... 32 inseam. I'm really hoping it will eventually break in (sorta like a new mattress). In the mean time I'm going to look around for a padded seat cover or a small pillow. Too bad these things don't have a telescoping wheel option.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 AM

I drove both seat types prior to purchase and found the leather seating to be much more bolstered and comfortable compared to the cloth.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mangocat1
Too bad these things don't have a telescoping wheel option.
Exactly!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Adding a Brody knob will put it closer to you..
Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM

My seat is the same way. The first time I drove it a long distance, I could barely walk. I think the lumbar might be in upside down. I will eventually take it to a seat guy and have them remake the padding and remove the lumbar. In the mean time I took a one inch piece of foam and made black cover for it, put a strap around the top and hooked it around the headrest posts. It covers the ares from the SS emblems down to the seat cushion. This works great for my back.

Quick Reply: Driver seat uncomfortable