Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Drivers Side Leak...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Drivers Side Leak...again

Like some others on this forum have discussed, I also had a leaking problem on the drivers side of my wife’s 2008 SS. Just thought I would share where it was coming in at and how I fixed it.

After sucking a little over 2 gallons of water out of the front and rear drivers side carpeting I did some spray testing and found that water was coming in at 2 places, the first was as some others have found, coming in from behind the large triangular shaped body plug that is behind the drivers side kick panel, directly behind the hood release. If you remove the kick panel you can see a void inside of the door jamb with a pinch weld and some type of foam filler applied at the factory (see picture). If you look closely at the foam filler you can see it is wet and is holding water. Water was seeping down through the spot welded piece directly above (at the arrow) and collecting in this area. My guess is that the intent from the factory was for the water to remain on the outside of the channel, however if you encounter a heavy downpour it could fill up faster than it drains out causing it flow over the pinch weld and making it very easy to come into the interior.

My fix for this was, instead of trying to find every little spot where it was coming into the door jamb, to allow it to drain out as quickly as possible. I drilled 2 holes, one on each side of the pinch weld which will then allow any water that does leak into this area to drain into the rocker panel void and out the bottom of the car which it is supposed to anyway.

After applying some rust Preventative and spray on truck bedliner to the hole to prevent any future rusting of the bare metal, I re-installed the body plug using silicone. For good measure I also applied silicon to the round body in the same area.

Another place where it was leaking was from the pinch weld in the door jamb area that the door seal attaches to. Water would seep from between the two weld flanges, get under the seal and obviously run downward to the top of the rocker area and into the inside of the car where it would be able to drip right into the front floor pan. I fixed this simply by pushing silicone into the crevice between the flanges by hand.

After letting everything set up, did another water test, and no leaks. After two weeks and a couple good rains still no leaks.

Hope this will help anyone else with similar problems.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Gator,
I just got my HHR 2008 SS a month ago, and am having the same issue. I am going to try this fix this weekend, I will let you know how it turns out, it looks like the exact same spots leaking in mine as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

It would really help if the images were larger.. I have noticed once recently that this was happening, but hasn't before, or since.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM

I just did this fix, friday. But I drilled only 1 hole as water takes the path of least resistance. I hopefully sealed the triangular holed pretty solidly. I gunked it in the inside edge of the lip and once pasted i did a outside coat so it would help it stay in place. RTV gets tacky very quickly.

Samething with the door gasket seal, pushed rtv from the midde of the rail and foward. As the door gasket starts there. my water issue is right in that prime spot of the kick panel opening and curving up the door frame. Once i pushed some rtv through, i smoothed it by hank and pressed the gasket back on. So it create a nice seal and the door gasket will be once again tight.

Should rain this week, so looking fwd to results.

The only spot i did not touch was a rocker grommet in which I may go back and it it quick, we will see.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Update, so far so good. had a storm and a hard one and nothing came in and wife drove the car in the rain and no dampness or anything, this might be up there with other leak fixes.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta love these well documented old postings like this. Glad it looks like you got it resolved. Crossing my fingers for you.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 PM

2 days heavily raining. find second time water in driver side . I find another way, where water goes down. showing in screwdriver: if heavily raining, then water goes up to the front roof frame and then goes after frame down . plastic pipe diameter too small in both side frame and water does not drain away quickly .
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM

HHR Leaks on Driver Side

HHR drivers side leaks like a sieve. Already cleared the drain under the cowl.

Gator . . .your solution looks like a probable but I can;t see the pictures to determine where to drill to drain the water before sealing up.

thanks MRM11
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Gator posted just once back in 2011, I doubt he'll be back to repost his pictures
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 PM

Thanks everyone. It's my niece's new used car and she's a little put out about the leak.

It doesnt have a sun roof so at least that limits the possibilities.

I do have to replace the seal on the passenger side too as that is missing. While I'm there is guess I'll just silicone the harness and any gaps i see before I seal up the plugs and pinched joints etc. On the inside.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Leak...again