Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine miss..then surge

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

If a CEL(check engine or service light) is on, you NEED to get the codes read to determine what is malfunctioning. The CEL is most likely the cause for the Reduced Power mode. The computer senses a problem that could lead to possible engine damage, that's why it reduces power.

Also, other functions can be shut down by a CEL. Such as remote start.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If a CEL(check engine or service light) is on, you NEED to get the codes read to determine what is malfunctioning. The CEL is most likely the cause for the Reduced Power mode. The computer senses a problem that could lead to possible engine damage, that's why it reduces power.

Also, other functions can be shut down by a CEL. Such as remote start.
Yes I forgot I even had electronic start it has not worked for so long
Old 10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Ignoring CEL's or warning lights on any car is just asking for trouble.

I'll just about bet if you get your codes read, it will point you in the direction of your problem.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Reasons your check engine light is on | Digital Trends
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Clogged fuel filter for sure for that 1996 HHR. But for real, could be that, or a bad fuel pump perhaps.

@Whopper, why does it matter where she posted from? People move. FWIW, I Registered in Ohio, and moved back to Michigan...
If it is clogged fuel filter is this something I can change myself? Or am I stuck taking it in to pay over priced?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Banned

Are you mechanically inclined, and have correct tools?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Ignoring CEL's or warning lights on any car is just asking for trouble.

I'll just about bet if you get your codes read, it will point you in the direction of your problem.
Have had codes read so many its insane I do not just ignore service engine light lol last time car was in for light just needed oil change, it was off for a day took it back they reset it blinks off and on when hit bump's
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by wrightbecca
Have had codes read so many its insane I do not just ignore service engine light lol last time car was in for light just needed oil change, it was off for a day took it back they reset it blinks off and on when hit bump's
Don't have the list of codes at the moment so that kinda sucks guess not so prepared to ask for help
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Sounds like there's a lot of loose stuff if it flashes on and off when you hit bumps, or existing codes being temporarily exacerbated by the bumps...
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wrightbecca
Don't have the list of codes at the moment so that kinda sucks guess not so prepared to ask for help
Truth is I only came to site to see if anyone else may be having issues and could offer me advise,possible solutions..... Had scan for codes done over a year ago so probably many more now my hhr is and has been a mess since I aquiered it 4 years ago when my father passed away. I really have no income so doing the best I can to keep this car on the road my car is all I have.

Quick Reply: Engine miss..then surge