Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Engine Mount

I replaced the front top engine mount in my 2006 HHR 1LT 2.4L 5-speed last October because I had a slight thump when I shifted. The OEM mount was somewhat worn but it didn't seem too bad. That did seem to fix the thumping. About a month later a pretty noticeable vibration from the engine started, I didn't have time to get to it, so I let it go for a while.

Then I had a deer hit and the HHR sat for the last month or so in the barn until I picked up a scrapyard fender and hood and had some spare time to put them on.

This weekend I pulled the HHR into my shop to put the new body panels on. As I started it and moved it, I noticed the same vibration that happened before.

I wondered if there was some issue with the timing chain I had replaced 35K miles ago, so I removed the cam cover and checked the chain. It looked good, so I looked at the replacement motor mount. It looked like maybe a small tear in the rubber but it was hard to tell. Using the "engine bolt head in the inner fender slot" method, the bolt head was sitting very low, indicating the engine had dropped. I removed the engine mount since it was so easy to remove. This is what I found when I removed it:

Yes, the part of the mount that attaches to the engine had completely broken off.

The mount from Rock Auto was a $30 Anchor brand with a 1 year warranty. I am sure Rock Auto will send me another, but I don't want another Anchor unit. Reviews on Anchor mounts are mixed, some failed quickly and others lasted. I want to get the AC Delco mount for $80.

I hope nothing else was damaged by basically not having a front engine mount for a few months.

Steve
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I recommend a new Turbo Tech Racing mount, it will last almost forever. They are one of our supporting vendors.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I used the AC Delco, just because of the reviews on the anchor and another brand.
I couldn’t afford the TTR mount
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM

you also may want to check the other 2 mounts as well. one on the lower front driverside, see from under car in front of the engine and for the tranny, best to see from top of the engine under the air filter.

i had an issue with the front lower. the bolt was to big going to the chassis so i just got the rubber replacement and had them pressed in, i couldnt find a hand press that had a large enough socket. got them at rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...432558&jsn=755

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Technical Moderator

And then, broken motor mounts lead to broken flex pipes.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Seems the fourth mount gets overlooked, over there on the passenger side of the transmission, bolted to the frame horn.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:55 AM

Having owned four HHRs at one time (no SS, sadly) (yet anyway), I'm down to three, and I'm convinced the motor and trans mounts are key to the shimmy shake disappearing when all are replaced. My 2010, 2.4 liter, 214k, mounts didn't show too much deterioration, but changing motor and trans mounts changed the car. Very happy about that for sure.
The 2007, 2.2 liter, 945k, (not a misprint) (pick a part, it's been changed, incl. engine) lol, went from, 'do I want to keep this shaking old girl?, to, all mounts changed, 'This is the best car I've ever driven!'. That big of a difference. And I've been through the broken flex pipe change the mount that caused it twice with not much difference in feel.
Neglecting or just not thinking of the passenger side mount which does get forgotten about as old blue stated.
The 2006, 2.0 liter, 126k, has mysteriously never had the shimmy shake problem, go figure.
A shake at idle is a good indication of mount problems, just throwing that out there. I'm not a mechanic, but this site has helped solve all kinds of problems I've had.
Thanks to everyone who submits fixes. I lurk more than post, (creepy) but this shake problem was all too real and annoying as all get out, so thought I'd post the good news of two out of three getting the notorious shimmy shake excised, until the next mount goes bad. lol
exclaimer, No front end parts were replaced. Yes, have been, just not same time as mounts.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Must be a typo, your 2006, 2.0? It’s either a 2.2 or 2.4, right the 2.0 wasn’t until 2008. Thanks for clarifying and confirming that the shimmy shakes are real , the mounts resolved them is real. Spongy rubber doesn’t last forever!