Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine power reduced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Engine power reduced?

I have a new bit of strangeness for you all. 2006 HHR LT 2.4L w/ about 160k mi. I haven't driven the trucklet for two days. My partner was driving it around. The power locks stopped working and then after that she got a power steering message on the DIC. She went to turn off the car and the engine kept running for about 30 seconds. Still ran ok. Day two, she called me because the car wouldn't start. I jumped it and it runs like crap and the DIC says eng pwr reduced. I saw that the oil filler tube was not in its place and lots of oil all over. Put it back, and checked the oil, down a quart. Put a quart in. I drove the crippled little HHR home and it would only go 30 mph. Also, I found the left tail light burned out.

At home, checked all the connectors that had oil on them. Sprayed a little electric connector cleaner on them. (Boy, that stuff is cold when its 20 degrees out!) I noticed a buzzing sound coming from one of the modules. There are two modules. One with three connectors and one with one connector. The one with one connector has a little high pitched whine to it. I can make it stop if I disconnect the connector. Also noticed the air vent selector is still on with the key off. With the key off I can also select the vent setting. Very odd.

So, I have it on a battery charger to keep the battery from draining from things on when they shouldn't be. I can't get into the trunk to disconnect the battery because I have a doggie gate thing installed and can’t unlock it from the seat side.

Sum it up:
• Door locks not working
• Air vent selector on with key off
• Engine runs for 30 seconds after the key is in the off position
• DIC says power steering and engine power reduced
• Runs like crap. (I disconnected each coil electrical connection and found its only running on #2)

So what may I have here? Some crazy oil induced short? I looked for frays at the connectors at the modules like the TSB says. Also, there is no oil there. All the oil went towards the firewall. I don't understand the additional locations they mention in that TSB.

• at the UBEC bracket
• at the cylinder head plate (power steering pump blockout)
• at the EVAP purge valve bracket (<---I cleaned this one)
• at the rear of the cylinder head/upper edge of transmission bell housing
Old 02-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. This post goes in all different directions.
One question. What does oil all over the engine compartment have to do with some unnamed TSB that you mentioned ?

My advice. Find a good repair shop.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Has to with DIC saying engine power reduced. I know, this all happened at once.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Not seeing the connection.
Maybe a look in the owners manual would help.

ENG (Engine) PWR (Power) REDUCED
This message displays to inform you that the vehicle
has reduced engine power to avoid damaging the
engine. Reduced engine power can affect the vehicle’s
ability to accelerate. If this message is on, but there
is no reduction in performance, proceed to your
destination. The performance may be reduced the next
time the vehicle is driven. The vehicle may be driven
at a reduced speed while this message is on, but
acceleration and speed may be reduced. Anytime this
message stays on, the vehicle should be taken to
your dealer/retailer for service as soon as possible.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Have you tried downloading the "codes"?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 PM

My guess is one of the "modules" in question is the ECM. And oil got sprayed into the connectors.

That is the front most one under the Darth Vader Hood, the other one is the TCM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 PM

Well, for sure there is some electrical short or path to ground, or lifted ground. Now that it is night out, the radio lights are dimly lit w/o the radio on, auto lights off.

Yes, engine light on. Its been on because it wants a new cat. It had been throwing P0420.

I hooked up the code reader and I accidently hit clear before read. That shut off the engine power reduced. Its also running ok now. After a bit it threw P0575 - cruise control input circuit. DIC still says power steering.

I don't believe anything it says though, there is something hinky in the electrical.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:43 PM

triple check the connector that goes to the MAF sensor on the air cleaner box........make sure that it's good and tight. dont know how any oil that was flying around would have anything to do with this but(probably nothing to do with the performance problem that you're having), the reduced engine indication along with 30mph top speed could most certainly be the MAF...either the MAF itself of the connector.....
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Cruise control code could be related to burnt out tail lamp bulb, I believe the left one was mentioned.
The P0420 code check the purge valve it maybe contaminated with oil