Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine power reduced/Engine disabled....I've had it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Engine power reduced/Engine disabled....I've had it!

Is there anyone out there that can help me!!!!

I have a 2006 HHR with approx. 76000 miles on it. It was purchased from a dealer brand new!

I experienced this for the first time last year....what we did was unplugged the battery and reset the computer in the car. This seemed to work and took care of the issue.

Now, just yesterday I got out of my car, went into my place of business and came out about 10 minutes later. I tried to start my car and on came the message "Engine power reduced" and then the message (I'd never seen before) "engine disabled" and then it shut off. I tried to start it again, wouldn't turn over. 10 minutes later, tried again...started right up and then immediately the same messages and it shut off. I unplugged the battery and then had my husband pick me up. We went back about 2 hours later and plugged the battery back in and it started right up.

I got into the car and went to drive home (a 5 minute drive) then I'm on the expressway going 50 mph and the engine disables.....luckily I was able to coast to the side of the road and I wasn't killed!

Problem is still ongoing today. We took the battery out and had it tested and it is fine.

Any help/advice or troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Lee aka Bunny
Old 05-09-2014, 10:49 PM

Check for any codes. I would think that something like his would be throwing a code. You will need to try to start it and have it act up then DO NOT disconnect the battery before reading the code(s). The codes will hopefully give you a place to start.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Thanks. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but how do I get the codes read????
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

By the messages, the cars computer is telling you it has detected a serious problem. The car needs to have the trouble codes pulled to locate the problem area.
Continuing to drive the car and ignore the warnings could lead to a complete engine failure.
DO Not reset the computer because this will erase the codes stored and make diagnostics difficult. Don't continue to drive it. Have it towed to a service facility.
Here's a little bit from the owners manual:

ENGINE DISABLED
This message displays if the starting of the engine is
disabled. Have your vehicle serviced by your
dealer/retailer immediately.
ENG (Engine) PWR (Power) REDUCED
This message displays to inform you that the vehicle
has reduced engine power to avoid damaging the
engine. Reduced engine power can affect the vehicle’s
ability to accelerate. If this message is on, but there
is no reduction in performance, proceed to your
destination. The performance may be reduced the next
time the vehicle is driven. The vehicle may be driven
at a reduced speed while this message is on, but
acceleration and speed may be reduced. Anytime this
message stays on, the vehicle should be taken to
your dealer/retailer for service as soon as possible.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Technical Moderator

One other point; Did you throw your recall notice away thinking it was junk mail? I almost did. Anyway, that may be part of your problem but you need to take it to a GM dealer soon.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 AM

I agree to all of the above. Just have one other question.

Have you used a different ignition key? There is a chip in the key for security. It will disable the cranking and starting of the car if the computer thinks the key don't belong to the car. Some times keys go bad.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Is there anyone out there that can help me!!!!

I have a 2006 HHR with approx. 76000 miles on it. It was purchased from a dealer brand new!

I experienced this for the first time last year....what we did was unplugged the battery and reset the computer in the car. This seemed to work and took care of the issue.

Now, just yesterday I got out of my car, went into my place of business and came out about 10 minutes later. I tried to start my car and on came the message "Engine power reduced" and then the message (I'd never seen before) "engine disabled" and then it shut off. I tried to start it again, wouldn't turn over. 10 minutes later, tried again...started right up and then immediately the same messages and it shut off. I unplugged the battery and then had my husband pick me up. We went back about 2 hours later and plugged the battery back in and it started right up.

I got into the car and went to drive home (a 5 minute drive) then I'm on the expressway going 50 mph and the engine disables.....luckily I was able to coast to the side of the road and I wasn't killed!

Problem is still ongoing today. We took the battery out and had it tested and it is fine.

Any help/advice or troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Lee aka Bunny
Hello Lee,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with your HHR. If you would like any assistance into the dealership for these concerns, I would be happy to do so. Please PM me your VIN, current mileage, contact info and preferred dealership. Let me know!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService

Hello Lee,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with your HHR. If you would like any assistance into the dealership for these concerns, I would be happy to do so. Please PM me your VIN, current mileage, contact info and preferred dealership. Let me know!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Who the heck are these people (spam bots?) That ask and don't really offer any help.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 PM

They're social media people....that's about all the 'help' they can offer.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Technical Moderator

Another one time visitor.

Quick Reply: Engine power reduced/Engine disabled....I've had it!