Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

engine shutdown after coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM

engine shutdown after coming to a stop

Hey guys,

I just started to have this issue, when I come to a full stop when it is a little downhill, I can the breaks give a little and when I go to accelorate again it is like the engine is shutdown. I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on in order for it to work again. The breaks do lock up sometimes when I try to turn the car back on.

anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Administrator

any codes? did you reboot the ECM by disconnecting the negative at the battery? how old is the car, battery, how many miles, any recent repairs, how old are the brakes?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Technical Moderator

What happens when you use the brakes to stop the car?

Does the engine actually shut down? or, just "like" shut down?

If the engine stops running the dashboard lights should all light up.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tamu15
Hey guys,

I just started to have this issue, when I come to a full stop when it is a little downhill, I can the breaks give a little and when I go to accelorate again it is like the engine is shutdown. I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on in order for it to work again. The breaks do lock up sometimes when I try to turn the car back on.

anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Yeah, please re-read your post, it is confusing. Give a better description with a little more facts and we will be happy to help.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 PM

great questions guys, to clarify...this is a 2006 hhr with 97k miles on it. the chevy dealership stated the breaks were on the last 10% of their life about a month ago. breaks haven't been changed in since 2010. no recent repairs other then the fuel injectors replaced due to a code 3 missfire, and there are currently no codes showing.
@oldblue i haven't rebooted the ECM by disconnecting the negative at the battery.
Every so often when i stop fully, i can feel the car give a little, im unable to accelerate, the car is still fully on. i will put the car into park, turn it off, and turn on the car again and it is fine.

once again thanks for any insight.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM

When you can not accelerate does the rpms go up but the car don't move or does it do nothing when you push down on the gas pedal?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM

it does nothing.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 PM

If it does nothing when you push down on the gas pedal my guess would be a faulty throttle position sensor which is sold with the gas pedal Assembly.

To diagnosis it properly you would need a scan tool or volt meter to see if the tps is sending a signal to the cars computer.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Technical Moderator

My wild guess is either the fuse box halves are not connected or the ECM connector is cattywampus. These symptoms sound familiar, a visit to the SEARCH box may help you out.

We are trying to help, but if you won't give specific answers to questions it is beyond difficult.

For instance: what is "it" that does "nothing"? Who and when changed the injectors and what diagnostics led to that being the fix. Code 3 missfire?, I assUme means a P0300, which could be caused by several different things, including a bad ECM connector? When the injectors were replaced was the ECM program updated?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Lucky
If it does nothing when you push down on the gas pedal my guess would be a faulty throttle position sensor which is sold with the gas pedal Assembly.

To diagnosis it properly you would need a scan tool or volt meter to see if the tps is sending a signal to the cars computer.
Actually it would be APP(Accelerator Pedal Position)sensor that comes with the accelerator pedal assembly.

The TPS is part of the throttle body assembly.

Not trying to be hyper picky Lucky, but in the "Alphabet Soup" that makes up the control systems of the HHR, it pays to be clear. Remember, no strangling your Admin Guy.

And I'm leaning towards a bad APP sensor just as you are, but it would need confirmation with a scan tool and diagnostics. A properly functioning APP should have a reference voltage range of 0-5 volts.

Quick Reply: engine shutdown after coming to a stop