Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Surge While Ideling+sunroof ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:33 PM

Wink Engine Surge While Ideling+sunroof ?

Hi all,

This is my first post. When I'm at a stop light my 06 HHR has like a power surge while ideling. The RPMs go from 5000 to 10000 and it feels like the car wants to die but it never has Thanks God. I brought it to the dealer and they told me they reset the computer but it still happens. Any ideas would br greatly appreciated.Also my HHR REALLY needs a moon/sun roof do any of you know of someone I could trust in norther IL by the WI border. THANKS in advance....
Old 05-13-2007, 01:44 PM

I am sure you meant to say 500 to 1000 rpm. There is some "lean surge" to be expected,but not to the extent you describe.Be sure to let us know what the dealer does.And by the way... to the best HHR site you are likely to find.You will find friendly people here and a wealth of information.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Thank You !!!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by pytn1
Hi all,

This is my first post. When I'm at a stop light my 06 HHR has like a power surge while ideling. The RPMs go from 5000 to 10000 and it feels like the car wants to die but it never has Thanks God. I brought it to the dealer and they told me they reset the computer but it still happens. Any ideas would br greatly appreciated.Also my HHR REALLY needs a moon/sun roof do any of you know of someone I could trust in norther IL by the WI border. THANKS in advance....
Welcome to the site Sorry cannt help you on the RPM problem, but for you sunroof, you could always ask who the dealers send them to. Most do not do that work themself they send it out.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

pytn1...

Questions about your issue....

Is the A/C on?
If the blower and/or heater engaged?
Does it happen everytime you stop at a signal light?
Can you determine if it is related to alternator output (do you have test gauges)?

I think...IMO.....you should forget the aftermarket sun roof. I think you may run into continual problems. I also believe that aftermarket sunroofs were discussed in previous threads. Check in the Search function.

And, WELCOME to the chevyhhr.net !!!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Since you have been a member for awhile I will Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 73
Size:  5.6 KB you to the posting part of the site!!! I agree with Snoopy on the aftermarket sunroofs. If you do get one make sure it is from someone very reputable.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by pytn1
Hi all,

I had this happen a few times in one of my other cars years ago. Figured it was bad gas (water maybe) since it eventually went away after a refill.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

5000 to 10000 rpm at idle? Redline's at 6500. Might want to get that checked out.

Anyway, aftermarket sunroofs are a great idea if you like destroying what little residual value is left in the vehicle. In order to install most units, the rails in the roof structure must be cut and modified. This has the same effect as cutting and re-welding the frame of the car. In an accident, it's a lethal mistake. On resale, the car is worthless on wholesale. Cars with a factory moonroof have specially constructed roof structures to preserve the integrity of the roof and unibody and ensure that there are no leaks.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 AM
jx3

I've noticed a "drop" in power while sitting at lights. Most noticable at night when the headlights dim a bit. But nothing reflected on the rpms though.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I have the same trouble with idle at a stop light. I even notice that my RPM gauge moves. I feel a surge than it sounds like it a drop. I will contact the service department and get it in next week.

Quick Reply: Engine Surge While Ideling+sunroof ?