Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Error Code PO340

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Error Code PO340

I have two instances when the following occurred:

The OBD II light comes on (engine icon) and the power to the engine is reduced (part of the program) and the engine is then shut down. I brought the car to my dealer and he could not have the problem re-produced, they informed me that the code refers to the engine camshaft position sensor, it was recorded in the history.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. This is my first problem and I am at 86,000 miles. The engine starts right back up after about 30 seconds, the issue is that the computer cuts engine power and shuts down the engine creating a potentially dangerous situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I cannot get the car back to the dealer until Monday when they again re-open.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:04 AM

P0340 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit is the code. It could be a sensor failing.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Lately I have had a problem with my 2006 HHR in the morning when it is cool I can get to work no problem only about 10 miles. In the afternoon when it is hot I get a short ways and get the dreaded reduced engine power and engine shut down, I can get out open the hood and wiggle the wiring harness and it will start up again go for awhile and do it all over again. The trouble code I am getting is P0340 and P0601. I am not sure if I need to replace the camshaft position sensor or if it may be more likely something in the wiring harness. I would appreciate any advice I can get from the members here, I have read some posts and see there are many knowledgeable people here. Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by chevhhrdummy
Lately I have had a problem with my 2006 HHR in the morning when it is cool I can get to work no problem only about 10 miles. In the afternoon when it is hot I get a short ways and get the dreaded reduced engine power and engine shut down, I can get out open the hood and wiggle the wiring harness and it will start up again go for awhile and do it all over again. The trouble code I am getting is P0340 and P0601. I am not sure if I need to replace the camshaft position sensor or if it may be more likely something in the wiring harness. I would appreciate any advice I can get from the members here, I have read some posts and see there are many knowledgeable people here. Thanks
You should have started a new thread.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is that black plug looking thing stuck into the front side of the head just above the oil filter, it has an electrical connection.

Your description sounds sort of like the wiring is loose/broken/frayed in that area. The harness connections over there tend to be pretty tight and look to me like they should fail more often than they do.

P0601 is a Transmission Control Module error. The TCM lives under the Darth Vader hood right there in the same area and has a history of loose/bad connections. That part of the harness is all connected together, so my guessing would start at looking very closely at the wires going into the connectors in the stressed looking areas.

If you do have a failed camshaft position sensor it's just held on with a screw and an o-ring.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanks donbrew I will check out the connections tomorrow appreciate the advice about starting a new thread just saw that this one had the error code I am getting.
Again thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM

The only problem with posting in this thread is the 2009 date. Most people ignore old threads.