Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Factory radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Factory radio problem

I have a 2007 HHR LT. The radio works fine but some of the presets will not work. I press the preset station and it will not go to that station. Some of the other presets do work okay. It also affects the clock. It will not permit me to change the minutes. The rest of the presets such as the hour work fine. Has anybody else had this problem; if so how did you correct it and what was the cost.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Hmm. I have not had this issue as all of my preset buttons work and I have changed my clock without a problem in the past. I'm just throwing out my guess and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe the connection between your button and the little sensor that it pushes are going bad? It could be because they are worn down or losing connection. For example my Keyless Remote buttons were worn out when I purchased my HHR so I folded little squares of tin foil and placed them on the little button sensors for a connection.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Deceased

OK, this will sound dumb, but it's worked for me and a few folks here who've tried it.

It's the Knuckle Rap....

With the key turned to accessory, turn the radio off, and give the volume knob two or three sharp raps on its top edge with your knuckle, like you're trying to crack the shell on a hardboiled egg.

Then turn the radio on and check the presets for a return to normal function.

Why the head units lose certain functions on their faceplate buttons is debatable, but my technique of rapping on the volume knob yet to fail on me.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Car has only 30,000 miles on it and radio is seldom used.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ekotecki
Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Car has only 30,000 miles on it and radio is seldom used.
But it is 9 years old. Mileage wouldn't really be a factor. Age and maybe the lack of use has rendered the preset buttons not making good contact when you push them.

My factory radio had 2 preset buttons that would not work when my car was about 3 years old. The display was also going "wacky", so the dealer replaced the radio under warranty.
Dealer said it was easiest to just replace the whole radio instead of trying to fix the old one.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Deceased

It could very well be a contact issue in the faceplate George, but I'm the polar opposite of ekoteki, my preset buttons get used constantly.

Yet I'll have the "Dead Buttons/Flakey Faceplate" issue about every 18 months or so. When they act up, I give 'em the Knuckle Rap treatment and all is good for another 18 months +/-.

My wife says I could be a button tester for GM, my days as a DJ/Radio Announcer in college have left me with no tolerance for bad music. So I'll work through all seven sets of presets until I find something I like, she says I sound like a deranged Parrot until I find something on XM or terrestrial radio.

I've not paid attention to myself until she pointed it out..."poke, crap, poke, crap, poke, crap, poke, crap, poke, Zeppelin...yes!".
Old 05-01-2019, 05:47 AM

Thank you for this tip!

Came here two nights ago looking to find a reason my preset buttons weren't doing squat, and found this post. I honestly partly thought you were pulling my leg with this fix, but damned if it didn't work! Saved me a lot of aggravation. LOL

Originally Posted by 843de
OK, this will sound dumb, but it's worked for me and a few folks here who've tried it.

It's the Knuckle Rap....

With the key turned to accessory, turn the radio off, and give the volume knob two or three sharp raps on its top edge with your knuckle, like you're trying to crack the shell on a hardboiled egg.

Then turn the radio on and check the presets for a return to normal function.

Why the head units lose certain functions on their faceplate buttons is debatable, but my technique of rapping on the volume knob yet to fail on me.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 AM

It is a hint of pending doom. Something is loose someday the knuckle rap won't work.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Administrator

But a search on Crutchfield, can get you a nice aftermarket, set with all the harnesses and mounting brackets, speakers, terminals, adapters