Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Finally got fed up, End links are off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Finally got fed up, End links are off!

I tried the Moog End Link on the driver side, but had a problem with the other one so I just put the old OEM one back on. The noise got progressively worse. I have now fixed the the passenger side Moog, and I have picked up new sway bar bushings but before I went through the hassle of fixing it I decided to just take the end links off entirely.

I know some people said it would handle like crap, etc, but I haven't been able to tell a difference. The one thing I can tell is its dead quiet now, HOORAYYY!!!!.

I live in the city, so there aren't a lot of curves(pretty much none to be exact) but guess what we do have a lot of? Bad Roads and Bumps. I will take some minor body roll to the incessant clunking sound that I was suffering with every day.

Clunking started about 2 months after I bought it. Ahhhh to have a quiet ride again. I haven't felt this good since I bought the car 12 months ago

I will see how it goes I might not ever put them back on. So here is a question, would there be any benefit to adding a rear sway bar? It doesn't have any end links, it bolts right to the frame so there's nothing that can clunk :)

I told my wife that people said the handling might be affected by taking it off...I told her those people had just been spoiled with better cars for too long, lol. For those of you who can tell a difference you have to consider what I use to drive. Pictured below.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM

All I'll say is good luck to ya.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't add a rear bar if you no longer have a front bar hooked up.

About the front bar, did you remove the bar? or just the links........ If just the links make sure it can't rotate down and interfere with anything just for safety sake.....
Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I wouldn't add a rear bar if you no longer have a front bar hooked up.

About the front bar, did you remove the bar? or just the links........ If just the links make sure it can't rotate down and interfere with anything just for safety sake.....
Just the links. I moved the bar around a little and there is nothing for it to interfere with. Plus the bar won't move now as its not attached to anything. The bushings hold it in place so it doesn't just rotate freely around.

Drove to pick my daughter up from her half-day program which is at a downtown Church and it was a quiet as can be. The only curve I had to deal with was the entry/exit ramp for the interstate, but its a 25mph curve so I didn't notice a difference. I am very pleased with the results!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Just watch out for quick lane change, panic maneuver stuff, thats when things could become more than a handful.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Just watch out for quick lane change, panic maneuver stuff, thats when things could become more than a handful.
Exactly!
Then talk about putting a REAR bar on it??

Be ready for any quick maneuver of any kind. Guaranteed.... Whatever you hit (guard rails, trees, other cars, ditches, etc.) will be with you back end of your car!

You can fix the car, but you can't fix stupid, and frankly this is!!

Fix it right! Either the OEM or Moog links.

And you talked about your daugher.... At least for her safety, do it right, please?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Some truck and jeep owners remove the front bar to increase suspension travel, but thats only for slow offroad driving. As the others said, body roll will increase and will not be equal to the rear. Enjoy driving on three wheels during higher speed maneuvers.
Sorry to hear the moog endlinks didnt work out, that would be my choice to correct the situation in addition to poly swaybar bushings. Im sure something can be done with aftermarket parts and the right suspension technician.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM

That and freeway driving, lanes changes, etc.

Stryker, I wish you the best with but I hope you put them back on if you ever decide to sell it. I can see this being a potential safety issue.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Cars came without front sway bars for decades, I don't see the big deal, at least from a safety standpoint. Sure, it probably won't handle as well or as predictably as if it were connected, but I don't think he's gonna fly off the road if he tries to turn a corner.

My old S15 didn't have a sway bar and I drove it from Iowa to California with no problems (lots of mountains and curves), and I even took it to Yosemite and through the Grapevine to L.A. several times without incident. Did it lean? You bet. Was I afraid it would toss me into oncoming traffic or flip me off the side of a mountain? Never.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rooney
Cars came without front sway bars for decades, I don't see the big deal, at least from a safety standpoint.
Those cars that didn't have sway bars were designed that way. None of the older cars had them then were removed.

I've got an '89 K5 blazer that has a sway bar disconnect kit and it has WAY to much body roll to be driven on the streets safely

Quick Reply: Finally got fed up, End links are off!