Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

flexuating idle while driving on my HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1bikenut
I will buy some throtle cleaner tomorrow. My mechanic said he sprayed it but he didn't mention anything about taking it out and spraying the back side. Thanks for the tip. I will keep you updated.
Pick up a small soft bristled brush to scrub the carbon as you spray, it doesn't always come clean if heavy build up like mine had and it will run hella better, already my mpg have jumped from 20 to 32mpg after a good cleaning and new spark plug, oil change.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:15 PM

Well guys. This vehicle was taken to my personal mechanic which he was having a hard time figuring it out. He is pretty good at what he does. I took it to Chevy and they were advising a trans flush which was recommended at 100,000 and didn't change anything. They also told me it was normal which I seriously have a hard time believing that. I have never experienced that and I have had quite a few cars. I have taken the throttle body off and cleaned it and still having the same issues. I have also gave it a tune up. When my mechanic tried updating the computer it wouldn't allow it because it was already had been done so someone had been in it already. He did tell me that he might be able to change the shifting pattern which may take care of the problem. I will be visiting him Monday to discuss about it. Thanks for helping.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:56 AM
Administrator

No throttle body cleaning? No test the EVAP purge valve?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:01 AM

Cleaning TB is buried in the wall of words. The description is so odd I don't know where to go.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Administrator

My mind musta blinked and woke up in the next sentence, but I still don’t see about testing the EVAP purge valve, it’s very simple, just remove both hose fittings, slide a 3/8 inch fuel hose over the black end (the firewall side) and try to blow through the valve , if you can replace it, same for the front grey side, except you inhale or vacuum ( polite version of suck through it) if you can , it’s failed, replace it!
don’t go cheap offshore junk, I got two of those in 8 months, get the ACDelco part.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:08 AM

Sounds like a plan. I will let my mechanic know about this suggestion to see what he finds. This is my first time using this forum so still working on it. I really appreciate the help. About a week ago the car started to run fine for almost two days. Then the check engine light came on and it started acting up again. My friend hooked up the code reader and after check it out somehow I had left the gas cap loose. We tightened it and cleared the code and it is still surging. Monday is going to the shop for a third time. We talked this last Monday about it but will definitely share your suggestion to him. Again thanks
Old 05-06-2020, 01:00 PM

I hate to come out of left field, but has anyone done a lobotomy? Specifically, disconnect the battery and make the ECM relearn. If there was gunk that was removed, it could take a while to relearn by itself.

With no codes, most other possibilities are unlikely.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Well the throttle body has been cleaned and the evap purge valve has been changed. There was a difference in resistance in the part so I placed a new evap purge valve. I still have the same problem. Should I disconnect the battery for a while? Someone told me possibly defective torque converter.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Yes try the battery lobotomy as Blue SS said.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM

Hi,

I disconnected the battery when I replaced the Map sensor. I also changed the purge valve but didn't disconnect the battery. If I disconnected again, how long does it have to be disconnected before installing it back on? I took it to my mechanic and he is going to have it today so we will see what he says. I have been relating what you guys have been saying about the HHR. I really appreciate the help. Not giving up on my HHR.

Quick Reply: flexuating idle while driving on my HHR