Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fobs don't work, no TPMS readings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Fobs don't work, no TPMS readings

I had to jumpstart my 08 Panel (from the front, using the marked ground on the strut mount) a couple days ago after an accessory left plugged into the rear 12V port drained the battery. I've done it a few times now, and never had issues in the past. This time, both of my remote/fobs stopped working, and I noticed yesterday that I no longer am getting a reading from the TPMS sensors (new about a year ago, so it's unlikely the sensors are suddenly all dead). Cruise control works, the car drives fine, I haven't found anything else not working. I've checked a few fuses, but am not clear which one would affect these 2 things. I also did some searching & found that sometimes disconnecting the battery negative cable for a half hour or so sometimes helps, but it didn't help me (40min).

Thoughts on what to check, and where to go from here?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Technical Moderator

The 2008 needs a software update. The factory program cannot hold itself for a length of time. TSB # 08-03-16-001B for reference.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM

I assume that's a dealer thing... should I expect to get charged?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Ah, finally stumbled upon an existing thread with the same issue, which you addressed there. Thanks!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...r-rcdlr-53758/
Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Or somebody that has access to TIS2web and some know how. Figure an hour of labor.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanks again. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend who has a pretty good sized shop & some specialty tools to find out if he's able to do it and at what cost. If he can't, sounds like the local Chevy dealer would charge $165. I might check with the other semi-local Chevy dealer too.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Shops can buy short term subscription if they have the appropriate computer/scantool.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Here is my story...I have owned my 08 Panel since 2011. I never had an issue . The summer of 2017,I replaced the 10 year old OEM battery with a NAPA Legend . Summer of 2018 the battery was dead. NAPA gave me a new one.
That's when I had the problem with the tire monitors and the key fobs. I took it to the nearest dealer (37 miles away). The Service desk guy was really cool and tried his Tech II on it. He got the TPMS and all the doors except the 2 cargo doors working on the fobs.
He had to bring it into the shop to get the Tech to use his laptop to program the cargo doors. No Charge ...cool.

Six months the battery was dead again. ( the car sits for six months at a time) probably my fault for not using the battery maintainer on it. The memory on the Tpms and fobs was wiped out again...Crap
So I went last Saturday morning to the dealer again armed with DonBrew's service bulletin #08-03-16-001B . They reprogrammed it and so for it's good. It cost me total of $ 106.00 including $9.00 EPA and$7.17 tax.
We will see.........John
Old 03-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2manyvans
Here is my story...I have owned my 08 Panel since 2011. I never had an issue . The summer of 2017,I replaced the 10 year old OEM battery with a NAPA Legend . Summer of 2018 the battery was dead. NAPA gave me a new one.
That's when I had the problem with the tire monitors and the key fobs. I took it to the nearest dealer (37 miles away). The Service desk guy was really cool and tried his Tech II on it. He got the TPMS and all the doors except the 2 cargo doors working on the fobs.
He had to bring it into the shop to get the Tech to use his laptop to program the cargo doors. No Charge ...cool.

Six months the battery was dead again. ( the car sits for six months at a time) probably my fault for not using the battery maintainer on it. The memory on the Tpms and fobs was wiped out again...Crap
So I went last Saturday morning to the dealer again armed with DonBrew's service bulletin #08-03-16-001B . They reprogrammed it and so for it's good. It cost me total of $ 106.00 including $9.00 EPA and$7.17 tax.
We will see.........John
I hope that works for your sake. At this age, though, if it's not the battery, or charging system (no idea if that was checked), it could be a deteriorating ground. Rust and crap... If you have more problems, that's an idea...
Old 03-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
I hope that works for your sake. At this age, though, if it's not the battery, or charging system (no idea if that was checked), it could be a deteriorating ground. Rust and crap... If you have more problems, that's an idea...
I did check the battery draw. If i remember it was .005 amp.Charging is 14.6 volts This car is garage kept in storage 5 months in the summer and 5 in the winter. Maybe started once a month. I rotate the battery tender among the five cars that I keep in storage. It only has 38000 miles on it so rust isn't a problem. I hate rust. especially where I live. They coat the roads a day before and after any chance of snow with a mix of salt and calcium. terrible stuff. I have a 2000 AWD Astro van tank that I drive in the winter. Thanks ...John

Quick Reply: Fobs don't work, no TPMS readings